• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Brand new I7 not working with my rig .

Associate
Hello everyone !

thought I'll post this riddle as I can't figure out what's not compatible .

had this PC for many years so did decide to upgrade bits instead of getting a new build as I still like the form and like some components.
Problems started when I got a used I7 4790K of ebay and put it in the build . It started freezing up and looping the sound and I had to do a hard power off to restart it . can happen whilst watching youtube or doing small tasks but mainly happened when playing games and editing videos . I took the pc to nearest shop but they couldn't figure out the problem ( not the first time ) so I replaced many bits took out the I7 and put the I3 back in . runs without any issues . then I RMU'd the I7 thinking it's surely the problem . just got a warranty replacement from intel . still the same problem .
have tried with 2 different RAM's although both used so still might be the ones giving grief however - why do they then work flawlessly with I3 ? contacted EVGA regarding the CPU compatibility and they said that I7 is perfectly compatible and actually the I3 shouldn't be .
changed GPU , changed storage , still problematic.
would be forever grateful if someone pointed me in the right direction .

Here's the complete build -

1. Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz (4th generation) Haswell

2. EVGA z87 Stinger mITX-

3. Zalman Reserator 3 MAX

4. Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133 Mhz ram (SOLD)

5. Silverstone SFX 450W '80 PLUS GOLD'

6. Sandisk Pulse 128Gb SSD

7. Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB (SOLD)

8. Fractal design Node 304 case

9. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB- 7200rpm, 64 Mb Cache (REPLACED)

new bits -

Intel I7 4790k

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 Memory RAM 1600MHz

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB

Seagate 2TB SATA 3 Momentus XT Hybrid SSHD

Soldato
I'm sure the guys at the shop did it or looked into it and said it has the latest version .

in system info it gives me this - American Megatrends Inc/ 4/6/5, 09/10/2014

It is the latest version according to the EVGA website:

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

What cooler are you using?? It could be the CPU is overheating.

Edit!!

You have a AIO water cooler.

Is the VRM heatsink hot??

Associate
OP
It is the latest version according to the EVGA website:

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

What cooler are you using?? It could be the CPU is overheating.

Edit!!

You have a AIO water cooler.

Is the VRM heatsink hot??

Ah. Ok . yeah. Just realized how got it is. All 4 cores are running at approx 50 degrees and in merely browsing web. Then had a look and saw that the fan isn't even spinning. In general though - will the cooler be ok ? And does this cooler actually cool down the ram heatsink or which part is reaponsible for that?

Soldato
Ah. Ok . yeah. Just realized how got it is. All 4 cores are running at approx 50 degrees and in merely browsing web. Then had a look and saw that the fan isn't even spinning. In general though - will the cooler be ok ? And does this cooler actually cool down the ram heatsink or which part is reaponsible for that?

The VRM heatsink is near the socket and cools the VRMs which are responsible for supplying stable voltage and current to the CPU.

50C seems quite hot at idle and the fan should be spinning - is the fan on the cooler connected to the motherboard fan connector??

Associate
OP
The VRM heatsink is near the socket and cools the VRMs which are responsible for supplying stable voltage and current to the CPU.

50C seems quite hot at idle and the fan should be spinning - is the fan on the cooler connected to the motherboard fan connector??

it is connected now . don't know how I missed that . everything is much cooler now . before it was very hot at idle . now the CPU's are running at approx 28 .

Associate
OP
thank you both . at least have now gotten rid of the human error so will see how it copes with games etc when I get time to play etc tomorrow .

Back
Top Bottom