Breakdown assistance quote

Man of Honour
I usually get a year Roadside Assistance or similar thrown in with the service "worth" £99 between times if I don't have a yearly service I've so far managed to get a good deal on a year RAC cover for around £50 through deals done by my bank, through work or insurance, etc. though the deals aren't great looking at the moment.

Soldato
I don't bother. I've not had breakdown corver for a few years, figured if I do breakdown I will call up the AA, ask to get rescued and sign up there and then...

Same here. What I like about this option is that you can call round a few and find the recovery that will be the quickest, should you need it.

From RAC website:

"If you’ve broken down but don’t have cover with us, we can still rescue you.

Call 0330 159 8743 and we'll be happy to help. Don't buy breakdown cover online."

Good to know!

Soldato
I have breakdown cover for free with my current car but I've read the service can be a bit slow so I've kept adding it in my insurance cover. Currently LV (Britannia £55) but I'm also covered for other cars etc.

I was with the AA for ages and kept haggling the price down to about the same but each year but "like clockwork" they would bump the renewal to £100+ and I'd have to start the phone calls again. As they kept creeping up the base price I gave up and sync'd the cover with insurance renewal.

This year is the first year I can remember my renewal quote being better than all the comparison sites I've tried so far. There are regulation changes regarding this but I thought they were not in effect yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol what? As in they wouldn't help you if you had a puncture?

Yup, under exclusions it has: "Wheel changes, punctured tyres, damage to wheels or tyres."

Wouldn't be such an issue if it came with a spare, but those gunk kits are useless if you have a major blowout. I know some places won't repair a puncture if you've used one either, turning an otherwise easy £10 repair into a £120 new tyre :/

Soldato
RAC were doing half price for a number of months before full price I think around £14 for FP but now I get it on insurance for an extra £3.50 or so a month. That 's for the second highest option, home start, anywhere recovery etc.

Associate
No it doesn't. It says it covers any cars registered to me, anyone in my household, and any car I'm sat in. In any case, it is a joint account, and both our cars are registered to me.

I should have said earlier - registered to account holder and / or account holder is present in broken down vehicle.

However, it definitely does NOT cover anyone in the household. I learned this after a year of having a flex plus account and having to change it to a joint account.

EDIT - T&Cs:

What are my obligations?
• You must give complete and accurate answers to any questions we may ask you
Unless the vehicle is registered to the account holder(s) if your vehicle breaks down and you need our assistance, you must be with it when we attend
• If we ask you to provide documentary evidence such as an MOT, Repair or Service invoice you must provide it as if you fail to do so we have the right to suspend your cover
• You must keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition and/or service and maintain the vehicle in line with manufacturer guidelines
• Following a call out you must ensure that the reason for the breakdown is fixed

https://nationwide.co.uk/-/media/Ma...lexplus/flexplus-breakdown-insurance-IPID.pdf

Soldato
Yup, under exclusions it has: "Wheel changes, punctured tyres, damage to wheels or tyres."

Wouldn't be such an issue if it came with a spare, but those gunk kits are useless if you have a major blowout. I know some places won't repair a puncture if you've used one either, turning an otherwise easy £10 repair into a £120 new tyre :/

Wow, that's nuts, it must be one of the most common reasons for a call out especially if you were somewhere a bit sketchy.

Associate
Autoaid. 60 quid a year covers me and wife

I remember the days it was under 30 quid. Still great value, as it covers any vehicle. They used to make you have to pay and then claim the money back, but this may have changed now. I never had an issue myself over the years and I often found they would just settle the bill directly with the breakdown company anyway.

Soldato
Green Flag: Roadside Assistance, Home call, National Recovery, Onward Travel.

£22.18 as long as I pay a £40 excess.

I've never had to use breakdown cover in 10 years of driving. Happy to pay a small excess in an emergency rather than paying £60+ every year.

Associate
I should have said earlier - registered to account holder and / or account holder is present in broken down vehicle.

However, it definitely does NOT cover anyone in the household. I learned this after a year of having a flex plus account and having to change it to a joint account.

EDIT - T&Cs:

Yes it does, unless they take the car without your permission.

In fact, it covers ANYONE irregardless of whether they are living with you or not.

From Nationwide's Policy (emphasis mine):

You/Your: the Nationwide FlexPlus current account holder(s) and any driver authorised by the account holder(s) to use the vehicle registered to the account holder(s)

Associate
Yes it does, unless they take the car without your permission.

In fact, it covers ANYONE irregardless of whether they are living with you or not.

From Nationwide's Policy (emphasis mine):

You/Your: the Nationwide FlexPlus current account holder(s) and any driver authorised by the account holder(s) to use the vehicle registered to the account holder(s)

"Registered to account holder", like I said. If the car is registered in your wife's name and you are not with her (and its not a joint account), she won't be covered.

Associate
"Registered to account holder", like I said. If the car is registered in your wife's name and you are not with her (and its not a joint account), she won't be covered.

And I already said in my previous post that:

1. Cars are registered to myself
2. She is also on the account

So, multiple ways to cover cars in the household and even cars the account holder(s) are passengers in. So overall, a quite comprehensive imo level of cover.

It's not like you have to pay extra for a joint account, so don't understand why you bring this up.

Associate
It's not like you have to pay extra for a joint account, so don't understand why you bring this up.

If you read what I originally wrote, it was specifically to make the point that a spouse is not automatically covered unless it's a joint account (or car is registered to the account holder).

Not sure why you're taking it so personally - it's just useful info for anyone else who may inadvertently make the mistake I did and assume your spouse's car is covered automatically. It isn't.

Soldato
And I already said in my previous post that:

1. Cars are registered to myself
2. She is also on the account

So, multiple ways to cover cars in the household and even cars the account holder(s) are passengers in. So overall, a quite comprehensive imo level of cover.

It's quite an important distinction.

Read your first post again.

If people took your post at face value then many multicar households will be caught out. Also all households arent filled with married/partnered joint policyholders and they may not even be the ones with the flex plus account.

It's okay to be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom