Bridge Camera

Associate
Always leave a lens on or the body cap on if you are without a lens for some reason. Dust getting onto the sensor is a much bigger deal with a DSLR than film SLRs as its tricker to clean. That's the reason to leave the lens on at all times if possible.

Soldato
Nice one mate! I have the non IS version of the 18-55 but to be fair its my least used lens.

As for the 55-250, avoid the highstreet for that one, I saw out friends in the Personal Computer World shop selling it on "offer" down from £279 to £259. It can be had for £159 new online!!!

Get some photos up soon bud! I think im personlly getting quite into photography, varying my stuff quite widely, still to find the 1000D struggling for what I need, maybe in the future more AF points and better ISO capabilities will help me but for now I cant fault it whatsoever :)

My site (in sig) has a selection of photos, all taken with my 1000D and either the 18-55 NON IS lens, the "nifty fifty" and the 55-250mm IS. Just to give you and idea what can be achieved with this body :)

Associate
OP
Aye I will be having a good search around for the lens we need to get it at a good price :)

Typically, like every time you get something new, we haven't had time to get out and start shooting! Its dark and (annoyingly) wet by the time we get in from work, keep on seeing loads of things that look interesting on the drive into work though, so may explore that route, anyway its giving me time to read up on a fair bit of theory!

Nearly the weekend though, so fingers crossed for a nice dry day!

Thanks for all the information and guidance from you all, after having a little play around with this camera, I think we may have been disappointed if we had gone for the bridge option, and would have then had to 'upgrade' again.

Cheers folks

Al

Caporegime
We had a look at a few DSLR's and the other half was quite worried by the complexity of what you can do, so I am looking at a bridge camera to act as a stepping stone for us to move onto a DSLR in a year or two's time.

The thought of having to change lenses was the nail in the coffin for the DSLR idea, and seeing as this is going to be a camera for both of us to use, I have to get something that she will be happy using.

just stick it in auto, thats what the wife does with mine.

She knows there's **** loads of buttons that she doesnt know how to use, but she puts it on full auto, does a half press of the shutter to focus, then a full press to take the photo, and the D-SLR takes excellent photos despite the fact its on auto settings.
You see the yummy mummy types out at places like Alton Towers, Legoland etc.. all without a clue how to use their cameras, shooting in full auto using expensive EOS 5Ds etc... She wont be the only one doing it.

Last edited:
Associate
Read the manual

just stick it in auto, thats what the wife does with mine.

She knows there's **** loads of buttons that she doesnt know how to use, but she puts it on full auto, does a half press of the shutter to focus, then a full press to take the photo, and the D-SLR takes excellent photos despite the fact its on auto settings.
You see the yummy mummy types out at places like Alton Towers, Legoland etc.. all without a clue how to use their cameras, shooting in full auto using expensive EOS 5Ds etc... She wont be the only one doing it.

Get a how to use your camera book, follow the instructions/lessons and you will learn how to take a good photo.

Don't stick it in auto and hope - learn to use to tool, otherwise you Amy as well not have bothered with a dslr.

Caporegime
Get a how to use your camera book, follow the instructions/lessons and you will learn how to take a good photo.

Don't stick it in auto and hope - learn to use to tool, otherwise you Amy as well not have bothered with a dslr.

women dont do want to do that !

The whole issue was how easy it will be for his wife to use. my point was that he can learn how to use the camera properly, but his wife can just stick it in auto and it will still take good pics !

Associate
Really?

women dont do want to do that !

The whole issue was how easy it will be for his wife to use. my point was that he can learn how to use the camera properly, but his wife can just stick it in auto and it will still take good pics !

Right - I guess if his wife isn't interested in understanding how to use it then that's cool, although my wife's a photographer too, so I guess I've got a different experience with women learning to take photos with a DSLR.

Associate
OP
Looking through some other threads I have made a short list of 'things to get', does this look correct?

1. A Screen protector @ Got a GGS 1000D one today!
  2. A Bag (ordered a Lowepro Rezo 160 - should arrive tomorrow)
  3. A UV lens filter / protector
  4. A small tripod, looking at a Gorillapod - any good ?
  5. Another Battery
  6. Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS Zoom Lens (Not yet though)

Al

Soldato
Looking through some other threads I have made a short list of 'things to get', does this look correct?

5. Another Battery

Al

Sounds good, if you're looking to use the tripod for long exposure stuff then you might want to get some sort of remote control. I've just bought a Yongnuo remote control for my Nikon for less then a fiver from ebay. I'd image there's something in a similar price range for Canon.

Associate
Just one thing

5. Another Battery

Al

I would skip the UV filter - unnecessary when shooting digital and another piece of glass between the front lens element and the shot will not enhance the overall result. Instead, get a lens hood for the lens and leave it on all the time when shooting and this can directly improve photos.

Associate
Rather than using the generic Jessops brand blower and cloth etc (that you have pictured) I'd spend a few extra quid on a decent air blower, such as a Giottos Rocket, and a good quality lens cloth.

Associate
OP
Sounds good, if you're looking to use the tripod for long exposure stuff then you might want to get some sort of remote control. I've just bought a Yongnuo remote control for my Nikon for less then a fiver from ebay. I'd image there's something in a similar price range for Canon.

Good idea, one now purchased from the bay :)

I would skip the UV filter - unnecessary when shooting digital and another piece of glass between the front lens element and the shot will not enhance the overall result. Instead, get a lens hood for the lens and leave it on all the time when shooting and this can directly improve photos.

Will look for one of these now

Cheers folks :)

Associate
OP
More advice take on board, and after a perusal the following should arrive soon

1* lens hood
1* Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower
1* Spudz cloth
1* Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

Back
Top Bottom