Brillant Young Players .... Hype or Not?

Soldato
Kop_Jedi said:
Robbie got 5 on his home debut and more hat tricks than Rooney will ever get before he was 21.

Clearly all you Robbie fans see something in Fowler that no England manager ever did.

Associate
Boscher said:
Another brilliant young player is Fabregas, such potential to be an arsenal great if we can hold onto him :)

He is good, no doubt there, but really isn't consistent enough from what I've seen in the Permiership, CL and WC.

Permabanned
He was behind Shearer and Sheri under Tel which was fair enough as he was still young then.When Hoddle took over was when Robbie should have got more of a look in ,but wheras most players went along with Glenns loonytunes methods to keep their places Robbie wouldn't so got sidelined.

Soldato
wedgie22 said:
Maybe not, but he has never been considered a first choice England striker by any England manager throughout his career.

because glenn hoddle was an idiot, his record speaks for itself, in his early years he was truely prolific!
Hopefully there will be a little more fowler magic next season.

Soldato
:rolleyes: thanks BaZ

I think you have a bit of a blinkered view of Fowler tbh. Anyhow, Andy Cole was an excellent player, Fowler should be hapy to be compared.

Cole scored around 200 goals in 400 top flight games excluding europe
Cole has 20 in 52 european games

Fowler got about 160 in about 350 top flight games excluding europe
Fowler has 5 in 29 european games

Are they comparable, yes. Fowler did a bit better for England than Cole, but not much

Don
If your going by stats then Cole is better than Rooney?
Andy Cole was a good player playing in a great side; look how many more goals RVN scored when he went to Man Utd. RVN got around 30-40 goals a season (in his first few years), that just shows you how many goals Cole could have scored if he was a top class striker. On the other hand Fowler was playing in an average Liverpool side yet managed to get to 100 goals quicker than Ian Rush (possibly the best goal scorer in the UK for 30 years) and IIRC scored over 30 goals in 3 seasons in a row. The only reason he never continued to go on from that start was firstly; the knee injury he got and then Houllier not liking/wanting him.

Cole was not an International standard player but Fowler was, like i said earlier the reason why he never got a fair chance was Hoddle.

Last edited:
Soldato
around that time we had a good selection of English strikers. Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, Fowler, Cole, Wright. It was never going to be easy for fowler/cole/wright to edge out the others. At the opening game of the 98 world cup i think it was shearer/sheringham that started and then Owen came in for the rest of the tournament. The others weren't really ever going to get a look in unless any injuries occured.

Soldato
im in a yakubu loving mood today lol

yakubu gets forgotten like a ginger step child look at his scoring records over the last few years playing for absolute rubish teams

<3 yakubu

he wasnt that old when banging around 20 goals in for portsmouth

but tbh i dont think rooney is overrated at all he does allot more than just scores

Man of Honour
BaZ87 said:
Cole was not an International standard player but Fowler was, like i said earlier the reason why he never got a fair chance was Hoddle.
You don't know that. You don't just need to be good to be International standard, you need to make it count on the big stage too. He never got a fair crack at it, granted, but you can't say he was International standard just by his domestic scoring record IMO.

Back
Top Bottom