Bringing French car to the UK. Advice needed!

Soldato
I am looking for information on behalf on a friend, and I thought this might be a good place to ask since I'm finding it difficult to find information on government websites.

She will be living in the UK from September in order to do a PGCE course (postgrad, teacher training) which lasts one year, then planning to stay on after as a teacher for at least one year.

Her car is a 2004 Renault Twingo, fully registered, insured and taxed in France. It was bought used in France about 3 months ago.

I am aware that visitors from the EC are allowed to drive a car on foreign plates in the UK for up to 6 months per year. I'm not sure if this applies since although she is French and has a permanent French residence, she will be living in private accommodation here and using the car to commute to University/placement school 5 days a week.

From the information I've found, it looks like the car will eventually need to be registered, taxed, MOT'd, insured, have it's lights modified for UK driving, have the plates changed.

I'd be grateful if anyone has experience with this and can give some advice.

Soldato
from a cost point of view i would sell it, buy a lhd car in the UK and take it back at the end.

Early lhd smarts go for naff all, could drive it round take it back the continent and make a few quid.

Back
Top Bottom