1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bristol considers whether it should apologise for slavery...

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by cleanbluesky, 10 May 2006.

1. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

2. @if ®afiq

Soldato

TBH, I don't really see what this will achieve - but I'm not black and my family has never been enslaved.

3. VIRII

PermaBanned

I guess it would achieve more political correctness.
    I somehow doubt anyone guilty of partaking in the slave trade is alive today to apologise.

4. AJUK

Man of Honour

I am glad you posted this, I was just about to myself.

I believe things like this are best left alone, do we also ask the descendants of the Africans or Arabs who captured and sold the slaves initially to make amends or the Italians for the atrocities and slavery of the Roman Empire, the Mongolians for Ghengis Khan or the Turkish for the Moorish invasion?

I couldn't care less either way, so Bristol got rich on the back of slavery, so what? Why should a citizen of the 21st century care. To me this has the taste of black supremacy about it, what next, asking me to apologise for being white?

**** 'em.

Last edited: 10 May 2006
  5. crashuk

PermaBanned

agree

6. The Running Man

Caporegime

when the african sellers apologise, then it may be worth considering, but tbh the time has gone, we have more than atoned with the level of charity etc we provide to these countries.

7. Cueball

Wise Guy

+1

8. Ricochet J

Capodecina

With all due respect, but wouldn't apologising lead to much more political correctness which will again, bring up past bad memories. We all know the slave trade era was truely a dreadful time. But just bringing up all those past horrors to say a politcal sorry for which lets face it, the people of Bristol living there now have nothing to do with the slave trade would be pretty pointless in my eyes.
    I feel for the victims of the slave trade, but apologies should have happened at the time of its era.

9. robmiller

Capodecina

Can we ask those bloody Norwegians to apologise for the viking raids while we're at it? I lost my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather at the battle of Lindisfarne in 793 (NEVER FORGET) and I demand remuneration :mad:

This is, I guess, another way of saying "let bygones be bygones". Nobody is alive today who was once a slave (not at British hands, anyway) and nobody is alive today who owned slaves. What kind of person thinks blame passes on to your descendents after your death?

10. VIRII

PermaBanned

LOL. Hmm so who is it you want repatriated? You might be on the wrong website for that ;)

11. robmiller

Capodecina

Haha, I meant remuneration. Shh!

Edit: I think I meant reparations, actually. I'm not sure. Either way I certainly didn't mean repatriation :)

12. i know nothing

Mobster

I see Chirac is in the news again for something similar to this at the moment.

I'm reminded of the numerous apologies Japan has made for atrocities committed during WWII. I acknowledge that the situation is different in that many veterans are still alive whereas there are no living relatives of victims of the slave trade. I don't think it did Japan any harm in apologising, I would argue that it was largely positive. I would add that recent visits to 'that' shrine by the Japanese PM have caused discomfort among many, especially the Chinese. If I were to draw a parallel I might be inclined to suggest that renaming the area in Bristol might not be such a good idea.

However, I believe an apology should be made but I think they should give the area an historical name. Time is a great healer and I seriously doubt that it would cause offence, who on earth could claim offence? Why the apology then? Well, history is important, it's important that we recognise that what happened was wrong so future generations don't make the same mistake. I do not accept that an apology should be linked to reparations of any description though, like the US$777 trillion (<that is not a misquote!!!) that is being claimed by the grouping of African nations that have lodged a petition in The Hague against the UK, US, France and a few others.

13. anarchist

PermaBanned

Well quite. Collective city/country guilt is a strange thing isn't it. How can a "city" apologise. Then again, plenty of people still hate germans today for what Hitler did like 60 years ago, so that's a bit strange too, since world war 2 is obviously not your average modern day german's fault.

14. VIRII

PermaBanned

It is more recent history though and still in living memory. Plenty of people around today who recall the blitz, who saw brothers and fathers go to war never to return.
    Slavery is somewhat longer ago...

15. anarchist

PermaBanned

It still seems a bit odd blanket blaming all germans today for the actions of some germans 60 odd years ago.

16. VIRII

PermaBanned

Odd certainly, understandable though.

17. Spud21

Mobster

Agree, and if they do appologise i will be charging the Council house with keyboard in hand and nukes from orbit already well on their way :D

It's an aspect of our past which was not particularly wholesome, but then aspects of every country's past are not particularly wholesome, at least in the end we saw the light (in no small part due to the actions of bristols people and merchants who played a large role in the abolition of the slave trade), if thy want apologies for every single bad thing that we have done then i want official thanks for every good thing.

At the end of the day if these people are that disgusted by slavery and it's effects they are free to undo the personal impact and go back to where they were origionally from. The way i see it though is that the decendants of slaves despite the wrongs of the slave trade have it better now than they would had they not been taken as slaves and left to stay in Africa.

Or how about these people concentrate on undoing the current slave trade that is in operation in Africa today, rather than doing something that makes no difference to anyone.

18. Chunky

Hitman

If some man came up to me and said I'm sorry that my great x10 grandfather made your great x10 grandfather a slave, I would be like 'um ok then :confused: '. I mean that s*** happened over 200 years ago, I wouldn't apologise to some random white guy for something that my family did to his that long ago, so why should he apologise to me. This is crazyness, and those blacks that want an apology are a crazy minority

19. FeFiDoh

Sgarrista

this is stupid :| Its been and gone yes it wasnt nice but thankfully we have moved on since then. So why should people apoligise it wasnt them that did it :rolleyes:

Its like me apologising to a fossil for the meteor that wiped em out, *** mean nothing as i had no control over it.

20. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Bit odd for people who weren't responsible for the slavery to apologise to the enslaved who are long dead.