Bristol Uni

Man of Honour
Socaddict said:
yeah, i would have been past for all of about 2 seconds.
Well I have long dead straight hair so you'd know if you saw me. Where do you 2 know each other from? I'm living with one of Dans mates next year, only realised they knew each other a few weeks ago!

Soldato
Goldney is an awsome hall! Go there if you get the chance. Manor is also nice, but the dean is a little weird, and the floors are single sex. Best way to describe manor is to think Hogwarts.

I'd say stoke bishop halls have the best atmosphere, being so far from town means everyone spends more evenings in hall, so lots of parties etc. But you have to be careful because some of them are a bit of a dive.

Associate
OP
As I've said, stoke bishop is a no-no. Lugging a double bass that distance would be impossible (trust me, I've done it a few times).

Kreeee, you mind if I add you to my msn, so I can ask more questions?

Man of Honour
Righty, I'm from Wills, so heres another view :p

Best self catering hall - Durdam by a mile. By far the biggets rooms (Apart from old quad wills, which are insane. Have their own fireplaces!). The people there arn't particuarly social, and its a bit cliqey (sp?). However, I guess it changes every year.

As for wills, yeah, I enjoy it here. I'm in the 'good' bit of new quad (En suit), and its very very social. 45 people on my corridoor! Whoever said Wills was a dull place to live is mad. Its slightly TOO lively for me, although perhaps is this because I'm a science studant and don't waste my time doing nothing *rant*.

DONT GO TO NORTHWELL. THEY HAVE HAD EVERYROOM ON THE GROUND FLOOR BURGLED. THEY HAVE A MOSQUITO INFECTION, AND THEY WONT GO AWAY. SOMEONE HAD £3000 WORTH OF GUITARS STOLEN. THERE ARE SEVERAL CRACK HOUSES DOWN THE ROAD. ITS A DUMP. DONT GO THERE!

The rest of the halls are pretty cool. I'd say Wills was way more hogwarts than goldney. Oh, and manor hall is good. In clifton, nice and close. Although I do like the exercise from the walk :)

Flat 10 +co for the win! :cool:

Man of Honour
Kreeeee said:
Sure but resnet is messing up my MSN at the moment.
Agh, its aweful isn't it?

As I've said, stoke bishop is a no-no. Lugging a double bass that distance would be impossible
If the only reason you don't want to be at stokey-B is that, thats pretty lame :/ There are frequent buses ya know!

EDIT - Cant quite remmeber if a double bass would get on a bus...

Man of Honour
Nitefly said:
Agh, its aweful isn't it?

If the only reason you don't want to be at stokey-B is that, thats pretty lame :/ There are frequent buses ya know!

EDIT - Cant quite remmeber if a double bass would get on a bus...
Yep, they are always having issues.

A double bass is as tall as him (google it) but I agree that if that is his only excuse then he is missing out on a LOT for a small issue.

Soldato
therandom said:
I've been found out :eek:

Think I remember reading a post by you awhile back saying that you were doing CS at Bristol!

You'll have to give me a nudge during the next CA lecture and we can both share a moment of not knowing quite what to say :p
lol I'm not going to any more lectures. Can't be bothered with the QA sessions. I remember we spoke for a bit on one of the first days of term.

Associate
I was at a Uni Owned student house in Priory Road for all 4 years! Was very gutted when I didnt get a place in halls and was determined to move into halls asap. It has 4 flats of 6-8 people each. After a few weeks though the benefits of the house dawned, namely being 3mins around the corner from my dept., 3mins around the corner from the supermarket, 3mins around the corner from the pubs, etc etc... ;) Was an awesome place to live, got a nice penthouse room for 3 years too :D So some student houses can be pretty good. Downside is I didnt meet as many folks as I would have done in halls, but the people I did meet I became very good friends with.

Soldato
Nitefly said:
I'd say Wills was way more hogwarts than goldney.

I assume that was reffering to what I said earlier, I meant Manor was like hogwarts. Goldney is certainly nothing like that (actual halls very modern, with the bedrooms having a certain similarity with prision cells). Beautiful gardens though!

I only ever went upto Wills a couple of times. I got dragged along with some computer science people from my flat to record a short film they were making for course work! Must say I was quite amazed by the halls, especially the main meals where everyone wears their gowns! Lots of rules though, like if you leave to goto the loo during the weekly posh meal then you weren't allowed back, no walking on the grass etc.

Associate
I live in Wills Hall right now in my second year, going to be here for a third. I was on the JCR as the tech rep this year, and i am staying on because i find it fantastic here, also many of my mates are staying.

I live in the old quad part, HUGE rooms, and a fireplace, i have a great view from my top floor room of the quad.

The walk is getting a bit boring, but gives you a lot of time to think about stuff, plus it means you dont need to bother that much about other excercise.

Stokey B for the win

Associate
OP
Nitefly said:

I'd hardly call it a small issue.

a lot of my mates who are already there are going to be around glocucester road IIRC, which is just by Northwell house, isn't it? When I was for a weekend, I pretty much fell in love with the Clifton area, although admittedly I only saw the Stoke Bishop area when it was dark.

Hmm, still mulling it all over, did originally want to go to Clifton, but the price premium completely put me off. Hence why I want to go to manor, as its the same area, and significantly cheaper.

Anyone got any pictures of the Stoke Bishop area and rooms in the halls so I get a bit more of a feel.

Associate
Another point that i dont think has been raised is that if you live in the Stoke Bishop area, then you are right on the downs, BIG open area of grass and woods.

Nice place in the daytime, but avoid at night. The downs make Bristol the greenest city in the UK. It is great being able to take a small break from revising and just go to the downs. Power kiting on the downs is great fun aswell.

Soldato
Socaddict said:
a lot of my mates who are already there are going to be around glocucester road IIRC, which is just by Northwell house, isn't it?
Not sure where Northwell house is but Gloucester road is a fair walk from the university. Depending on how far down the road it is, it could be even further than stoke bishop.

Soldato
delta555 said:
Another point that i dont think has been raised is that if you live in the Stoke Bishop area, then you are right on the downs, BIG open area of grass and woods.

Nice place in the daytime, but avoid at night. The downs make Bristol the greenest city in the UK. It is great being able to take a small break from revising and just go to the downs. Power kiting on the downs is great fun aswell.

Why avoid the downs at night ? as long as you don't go round certain bit's in your car and flash you lights at other cars parked your fine (i'm sure there is some serious cottaging action that goes on on parts of the downs at night, either that or there are just legions of caned people sat in their cars flashing their headlights as it is facinating or something) I've wondered around the downs at night many a time, not been bummed yet :D It's not that bad a walk done it many times from town back to my house in stoke Bishop, takes a bit over an hour when fairly wrecked, personally i'd rather walk from the top of stoke bishop to Bristol Uni and back at night, than walk down Gloucester road at night tbh, there are some dodgy people in the stokes croft area, one of my best mates ex lives in 5102 and shes been confronted by some seriously dodgy people at night.

I've lived in Stoke Bishop for the past 17 years and i like the place a lot, it's 15 minuites at most by car from town and the Mall, and considering it's that close to the centre of one of the larger cities in Britain it's exceptionally quiet and nice.

Man of Honour
Socaddict said:
looking on the map, its nearer. Thats pretty much where Northwell house is.
Even the people who live in Northwell house think its a horrible dump. There is quite a lot going on on gloucster road, lots of bars I think but also lots of london-esque 'local' coffee shops, but I don't think its as studanty as the stokebishop clifton areas. From what you are saying I'd go for manor hall, please don't go to northwell :p

Back
Top Bottom