**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Soldato
I think it worked out ok for..... anyone above the rank of Captain....

What a shock to absolutely no-one, Officers doing well out of a pay change and OR's being shafted :D

I got hugely shafted by "Pay 2000" when my £300 a month rise from SAC to J/T (RAF ranks) after the 18 month course, became a £75 rise instead as it was implemented while I was on my J/T training course. It was also a kicker that, those who did the much easier 9 month SAC(T) course now came out on the same pay but 9 months sooner so less trained people actually got a 9 month increase compared to the better training people who had to wait 18 months before the pay rise, not that I'm bitter at all you understand :D

Soldato
A technical uplift for tg1 to help stem the flow of people leaving. Basically a pay boost of 900 for Cpls up to 1700 for CTs. Ie. Give more money to the areas you don't need retention and less money to the areas you do. Lol.

Soldato
Good news on pension front though. The Mcloud ruling is likely to cause a shakeup in the military pensions too. Those that moved to 2015 are likely to be given the option to move back on to their original 75 or 05 pension scheme.

Soldato
Next few months will be interesting, been told by doc I now have asthma, not sure how it will affect my job but doubt it will be good.
Think I should start looking at CTP courses soon?

Asthma prevents you joining up these days - dependent on how long ago last attack etc. But if you're serving, these days it can be managed (medical marker, limited deployments etc). Depends on how bad your trade is for manning etc.

Soldato
I'm not in but when I applied to the reservists, I was told that asthma was instant rejection. I don't know whether the same happens if you develop it while serving but good luck!

Thanks, I was told by doc to think about how it will affect my career but I have seen mixed things posted on other forums about whether or not I'll have to leave.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asthma prevents you joining up these days - dependent on how long ago last attack etc. But if you're serving, these days it can be managed (medical marker, limited deployments etc). Depends on how bad your trade is for manning etc.

Ok that's good to know :) should find out more in a few weeks, been asked to keep a peak flow diary for now.

Man of Honour
I'll be finishing my 12 years in September, still pending a carry forward of leave to work out my exact last day in uniform but it's going to be some time in May or June.

It was a good decision to join however it would now be a bad decision to stay, not only due to personal circumstances but because there comes a point where - dependent on trade and career development - options outside become more attractive than those inside. Given I've actually put effort in to professional development in my own time and not expected the service to do it all for me (as so many do) , civvy street is knocking on the door and the M4 corridor is looking like particularly green pasture.

The main reason for me, however, is that I don't want to go through what I've witnessed others go through; watching their kids grow up through Skype. I don't want to be in a job I resent, and I'll resent even a single day I'm forced to be away from my family against my will.

Soldato
Left the RAF 5 years ago and, while it may be an old cliche to say "the grass is always greener" after you've left, in my experience (being a qualified tradesmen) it really is financially far better on the outside where I've had 5 years now of earning double what I did in the RAF for the same role.

However that 1st big step back into the world can be pretty daunting I know but, like ripping a band-aid off, sometimes it's best to just get it done ASAP. The only thing I really do miss is an odd one really, but it's being away from the UK constantly. I mean from 9/11 until Nov '14 I was spending an average of 4-8 months a year either deployed, on Ops, on training etc all outside of the UK so my first 3 years out when I worked in Kent I was getting a stir-crazy being "stuck" in the UK for so long which made my decision to spend 3-5 years in Saudi much easier to make. I'm an odd one I know :D

Soldato
I still miss it but I wouldn’t want to be back now speaking to people still in that I joined up with. I miss the people and the banter, Medical and especially dental care. I did 16 years and I’m happy I did that although leaving due to Med Discharge was not my plan. It was good and I enjoyed it good and bad times.

My eldest daughter is looking to join now so another chapter starting out. Although she is looking to be a PTI whereas I was an Engineer...

Back
Top Bottom