British Gas customer?

Soldato
Just redeemed mine. Although i have a Nest system so it may not be compatible unless they use some sort of standard? If not i'll just hoard it until i move one day and install a Hive setup in the new place. :)

Caporegime
Personally after researching them both as I was considering giving them a try, hive is a batter system that nest so was glad of this freebie.

Plus another free buib if somebody else buys something from my link eh my gf. So that’s another two builbs. Plus just bought the central heating controller for £65 as well.

Much less money than trying the nest or hue system for what I think is the better system anyway.

Associate
I currently have Philips Hue lights in my house, so planning just to pop this straight on Ebay, can put it towards some hue motion sensors/dimmer switch that i wanted to get the likes working as i prefer. Thanks OP for the heads up!

**EDIT**

Actually, the hub which is included with this kit, is this the same hub as for the heating? Might be useful if I decide to go down that route in the future...?

Last edited:
Don
I currently have Philips Hue lights in my house, so planning just to pop this straight on Ebay, can put it towards some hue motion sensors/dimmer switch that i wanted to get the likes working as i prefer. Thanks OP for the heads up!

**EDIT**

Actually, the hub which is included with this kit, is this the same hub as for the heating? Might be useful if I decide to go down that route in the future...?

Yes it's the same hub. My kit arrived yesterday and I'm already planning what other devices I can add to it. Opps :D

Associate
I received my free kit last year when they offered this reward, my hub recently locked itself and completely crashed... a quick phonecall to hive support and they sent another hub.. which included another 2 bulbs! result. Not even with Birtish gas anymore hah

Don
I've got mine installed now, but honestly I'm not sure that I see the point either.

The timer scheduling is a nice idea (I'm using one of the bulbs in my security light by the front door) but you cannot adjust the brightness on a schedule, it automatically comes on at 100% brightness, which is far too bright for outdoors. I have another set up in my lounge but turning it on / off via the Hive app is slow to load and onerous, I'm just using the light switch instead now (and same problem as above, it comes on at 100% brightness straight away).

It will be useful as a security / deterrent when I'm on holiday, but for everything else I can't really see the point.

Caporegime
I've got mine installed now, but honestly I'm not sure that I see the point either.

The timer scheduling is a nice idea (I'm using one of the bulbs in my security light by the front door) but you cannot adjust the brightness on a schedule, it automatically comes on at 100% brightness, which is far too bright for outdoors. I have another set up in my lounge but turning it on / off via the Hive app is slow to load and onerous, I'm just using the light switch instead now (and same problem as above, it comes on at 100% brightness straight away).

It will be useful as a security / deterrent when I'm on holiday, but for everything else I can't really see the point.

I can't see the point either. But they're very bright, and the dimming options can come in handy.

Either way, I feel like I've been conned. Ordered a full house worth of lights :p

Soldato
Installed mine today, the ability to control them from mobile and anywhere is great but until the tech gets a little better I dont think I will be able to sell the wife on a full replacement set!

Back
Top Bottom