1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Britons should follow Islamic values, or so it seems

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by pyro, 7 Jun 2006.

1. pyro

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Taken from here. And, here is a responce to a complaint letter (not mine).

Should this website and the people behind it be simply ignored? They most certaintly do not represent the voice of all Muslims, or even the majority. There are Muslims, especially the younger generation, that has adapted to the way of life in England, while still maintaining their faith, and even the more conservative ones do not associate state terrorism and exploitation as a British value.

I guess it would be like the BNP (it's an example, don't jump on me yeah) making a sticker saying that Islam stands for oppression, sexism, and killing of innocent people. And I am pretty sure that should they do that, there will be more racism and xenophobia accusations, even lawsuits.

So why is this site up and running when it gives a bad name to both Muslims and British people?

2. Shackley

Banned

Barking !

I hadn't realised that honesty, charity, family values and morality were NOT British values.

I guess that this (and the BNP) is what one gets from democracy - still, I kinda like it (democracy that is, not religious fundamentalism or ultra nationalism).

3. ElRazur

Capodecina

I think this quite the opposite actually. Muslim are known to invole in all those Britsh Values and NOT in those of Islamic Value...If in doubt look at saudi arabia and Northern part of Nigeria.

It is very simple, if you dont like it here, go back! period No debate. ....Oh wait we better debate with them or else we **might** get blown up.

4. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Are Muslim's the only one's with bigoted sites on the .co.uk domain?

*edit* To answer your question, as long as they do not promote violent actions then they are they not well within their rights to do so?

5. ElRazur

Capodecina

No, there is your answer and here is my question is that poster/site not bigoted?

6. crashuk

PermaBanned

well **** off then go back to your country.

7. VIRII

PermaBanned

It does rather fly in the face of the "muslims do not want to change the UK" arguments that are so often trotted out though.
    Clearly some muslims have little or no intention of intergrating.

8. <Tom>

Associate

Then what the hell are hey doing here

9. Phog

Mobster

If they don't like our culture, maybe they should return to their own country to help them remember why they (or their ancestors) left in the first place.

Edit: For clarification, I'm not implying that they should return to 'their' countries indefiniately. I was saying how they should visit the countries again as a reminder.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2006
  10. Psyk

Sgarrista

Maybe we could do with a bit of honesty and charity but I'll politely say no thanks to the rest. What exactly does 'family values' mean? Does it mean women aren't allowed outside or maybe something less stereotypical. Needs to be clarified. Same thing goes for 'morals'. And as for worshipping Allah, just no.

11. ritcH

Gangster

That site and what it represents is no different from the BNP, they should be allowed to communicate whatever nonsense they believe because freedom of speech is central to our society.

Then when normal people come across what they have to say, they will laugh at them and move on. Some people will get angry and write letters of criticism and some people will be afriad and say silly things like "muslims should go back to their own countries" but society is also full of stupid people and we let them speak too.

12. VIRII

PermaBanned

Absolutely we should allow freedom of speech. Of course that little luxury would disappear under Islamic rule :)
    I see this rather differently to the BNP. The BNP have no real depth of following, no gel to endear them to the public, yet this group claim to represent Islam. Already we are seeing the Muslims in Forest Gate and the MCB calling for non co-operation with the police over the arrests of these 2 lads. (Their brother was with the mock suicide bomber during the protest marches).
    The BNP don't exactly worry me, they don't blow up tube trains, they are a bit of a joke and they don't have this religious fervour to call upon.
    You can laugh and move on if you like, but I think you understimate the scale of the issue.

13. ritcH

Gangster

I'm not sure if the movement of Islamic extremism in this country is larger than the BNP movement - it would be an interesting statistic.

I personally laugh and move on because I firmly believe that Islamic extremism will never threaten our values, it will only ever act as an example of insanity just as the BNP is an example of the insanity of racism.

I agree there is a difference between the actions of the BNP and extremist groups. I'm very grateful to our security services for the efforts they make to protect us from unlawful acts including acts of terrorism. But as for this website I see no problem in letting it exist. Sure there is a line though, even for websites, if it starts publishing beheadings or commits other genuine offences then it should definitely be taken offline unless the security services find it useful!

I don't mind the debate either, I think talking about the issues helps to consolidate an appropriate opinion I just think there is an element of stupidity, particularly when attitudes towards extremism are generalised to ordinary Muslims.

14. starscream

PermaBanned

The guy that blew up the gay pub in Soho was a BNP member, and Nick Griffin defended it. Many senior members of the party also have multiple convictions for violent offences. The BNP don't actively promote violence/terrorism of course, but not does this organisation...

Now don't get me wrong, I find that sticker absurd and inflamitory, but there is a world of difference between lobbying for misguided notions and acts of terrorism. Until there is a proven link between the group and terrorist activity, it is not fair to suggest there is one.

Much as a disagree with the content, our rights to freedom of speech allow this kind of material to be published.

15. fini

Sgarrista

Surely the BNP claim to represent 'real britishness'?

When you say it flies in the face of the 'muslims do not want to change the UK' argument are you suggesting that the website reflects the opinion of the average muslim in britain? Every race, colour and creed has its nutjobs,,,

fini

Last edited: 8 Jun 2006
  16. i know nothing

Mobster

I like the bit in the 'about Us' section of the website where they write:-

I've fixed it for them:-

17. VIRII

PermaBanned

I think you'll find that a very large percentage of muslims will agree in principle with much of what is on that website. Yes.
    Infact some polls on such issues were posted here recently that backed up my view on this.

18. Cueball

Wise Guy

Islam = the religion of terror.

19. p4radox

Capodecina

A very large percentage of followers from any religion might identify with what's being said in that sticker. Replace 'Islamic' with 'Christian' and 'Allah' with 'God' and you've got yourself a fundamentalist Christian sticker. In fact, you wouldn't even have to be a fundamentalist Christian to agree with the values on that sticker.

The flaw is that 'British Values' are not homosexuality etc, but the liberty to do as one pleases with out directly harming others. This includes freedom of speech so the nutters who make these sites should be allowed to carry on.

Woah, hold up there. Huge generalisation perhaps? There are nutters in every religion, class and social group.

20. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

:rolleyes: