1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken lens - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by TomWilko, 23 Jul 2006.

1. TomWilko

Mobster

Unfortunately there was a bit of an incident on holiday in which my Canon 50mm F/1.8 was dropped in the evening.

It was quite a bad drop, about 3-4 feet I would guess at, and since then, yep you've guessed it something has gone.

Basically the lens will focus when on my camera however it will not choose a focus point with which to fix on. Using manual focus the images come out very blurry.

So, what do you thinks best for me to do? I could claim on travel insurance but excess is £35, I have it under the Canon 1 year warranty still but would they charge a substantial amount to fix it if I owned up to it actually being dropped rather than just 'faulting'?

It's at that annoying price range where its a bit more than the insurance excess, but paying the excess out adds more than 50% to the cost of the lens.

Tom

2. unknowndomain

Mobster

Payout the excess and accept that mistakes happen, and be more careful next time, however that said if u dont use the lens all that often perhapse cut your losses and forget it.

3. Johnny|lucidcomposure

Sgarrista

whatever you do. Dont try to disemble it like I have.. Need any spare parts :p lol

4. neverender

Wise Guy

£70 lens and a £35 excess... Hmm, tough to call like you say.
    If it were me I'd probably just fork out for a new lens myself and stay away from claiming for it, but then Im a sucker for wanting to sort things like this out as easily and quickly as possible.
    Like has been mentioned though, the amount of use the lens used to get is going to be the real decider for you.

5. Darryn

Mobster

Im with neverender on this one, but, id probably use it as an excuse to get a 50f1.4

6. TomWilko

Mobster

Unfortunately it wasn't me that dropped it, was the girlfriend. Accidents do happen though but I am still at the confused stage about what to do.

If I pay the excess and get it sorted then the lens becomes more than £100 and its worth much less. I sort of wish it was the 18-55 that was damaged instead as it would be no great loss to me.

Tom

7. Mohain

Wise Guy

Pay the excess, it's only 35 quid. It'll cost you double that if you ever feel the need to replace it. Plus if you don't want it you can fleabay it and make the money back. At the moment you've got a £70 paper weight.

8. unknowndomain

Mobster

Yeah so if u use it or if u wanted to upgrade it cut your losses and get a totally different lens not get the old one replaced? make sence?

9. scoop

Hitman

Aye, but what about the increased premiums for the next X years, given you've now made a claim? add the £35 excess you'd pay plus ~£35 ad you've got your replacement lens adn your policy next year goes down, not up......might actually end up costing you less overall?

Just a thought.....

10. Richard T

Mobster

i'd just buy a new one as its only 70 quid