Broken onboard LAN?

Soldato
Hi,

I'm currently using a USB ethernet adapter to connect myself to the internet as when I connect a wire to my onboard LAN it just keeps saying that there's no wire plugged in even though there is.

I have looked over Google but the only similar problem I can find is where peoples connection keeps getting dropped but does connect sometimes, this isn't the case with mine.

I have tried the trick of setting the speed & duplex but that didn't help :(

The weird thing is that I got it to connect for a bout one second when i set a custom IP and set the duplex thingy in the configure section, but I think that's just a Windows bug or something as I cannot get it to connect at all any other way.

I have reinstalled the drivers, disabled and re-enabled in the BIOS etc. and researched on Google for some fixes but have found nothing :(

Anyone got any idea why it's doing this please?

--Edit--
Also, the onboard LAN is fine in the device manager, it is not giving any errors at all and also the drivers install perfectly. So the device is being fully picked up but I can't get it to recognise it's plugged in. The cable is 100% working as I'm plugged into it right now using a USB ethernet thing.

Thanks,
Craig.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
shine said:
Have you tried updating the BIOS? What motherboard have you got?

asus p5p800-se

Don't particularly want to update the BIOS though - everything's working perfect apart from onboard LAN & it was working before (it just randomly broke one day).

Thanks,
Craig.

Soldato
I had the same thing happen to on my asus motherboard. I flashed the bios to a newer version and nothing happened. So I downloaded the old version and reflashed the bios with that. Never had any problems since.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, I still really don't get why this would be caused by anything in the BIOS - I haven't touched any of the settings in that, it just all of a sudden broke :(

Back
Top Bottom