Bruce Lee vs....

Suspended
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
/mental note not to hit simoans in the neck. :p.

lol, if we ever meet I will hope you remeber that, I certainly don't want to get kicked by you in the neck! :p

me waking up 5 mins later on the floor: "uuuhhhh"

you: "sorry man, I thought I could kick you in the neck!"

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure that if you put them in a ring together they'd sit down and have some scones and tea and talk about philosophy.

Associate
Depth said:
MrWhippy, Im waiting for your explanation of how Mayorga could take those left hooks off Trinidad?

sorry mate, i'm not on here all day long :)

first off, let me say that i'm not in the LEE would cream his ass camp. i was just responding to a few posts that seemed to be implying the power differential was the end of the matter.

Depth said:
I have boxed for years, and while accuracy is important, so is power. You are not going to KO someone with a good chin with no power.

if you've got years of first hand experience i'm sure you must have seen the occasional weak hit that resulted in a KO by virtue of a 'lucky shot'. just as you must have seen KO's as a result of maximum power shots landing where you wouldn't expect them to do damage. it happens.

Depth said:
If what your saying is true, how come Ali was not KO'd by Frazier's left hook, on the point of his chin?

Look at this, right on the sweet spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axQ4s_bMfM&search=mayorga

i'm not familiar with that particular match, and it is hard to see the quality of the shots due to the lowish resolution of the clip, but i'll assume you posted it as an example, so i'm assuming you've seen better footage and those were generally pretty good shots (ie, they landed close on the danger zone).

how did he absorb them and not go down? well i'd guess the man had his mouth clenched tight down on his guard. which would mean that at the point of impact his jaw would not have moved relative to it's socket. and so no fluid up in the socket will have been displaced pressurizing the nerves around there. that's what usually does the damage.

that's why boxers are taught to keep their mouths shut.

that's why boxers go down like a sack of spuds from what look like weak shots sometimes, because they got caught with their jaws open.

of course i'm not saying, so the accurate weakling always beats the aimless slugger. power does have a role to play.

1) even a tightly clenched jaw might give a bit if there's enough force in the blow.
2) and if not, the constant bombardment may weaken or tire the opponent, and then they get sloppy, the guard drops, the jaw opens etc.

i'll be honest i'm probably thinking Lee, good as he was in his day wouldn't win this one. but if he did, i think he'd doing by skill, not force, he'd have to use good technique with accuracy early, get in their before the other guy made the most of his power advantage and/or took it to ground.

Last edited:
Associate
Just come across this thread and these comparisons are just crazy... Bruce Lee was a Martial artist turned Movie star

Mike Tyson and others mentioned in this thread are pure Professional fighters with a huge size advantage over Bruce Lee, and as such he would not last above a minute with any of them

What fights of Bruce Lee's are people here basing there opinions on??? the ones in his Movies
its laughable to even think he would get in the same ring/bar brawl whatever he would be beaten easily

Permabanned
Martial arts students do not go around proving themselves, its not what its all about. We learn to improve ourselves physically and mentally.

When done right after years of practice a martial arts master can bring anyone down regardless of size. I train in Kung Fu and we are taught how to bring someone down in the quickest and dirtiest way possible to preserve ones own self if attacked.

Bruce Lee would have used the other persons weight and size against them. We are also taught where to hit for maximum damage to your opponent for little expenditure.

Bruce would have won easy.

Associate
Spit said:
Martial arts students do not go around proving themselves, its not what its all about. We learn to improve ourselves physically and mentally.

When done right after years of practice a martial arts master can bring anyone down regardless of size. I train in Kung Fu and we are taught how to bring someone down in the quickest and dirtiest way possible to preserve ones own self if attacked.

Bruce Lee would have used the other persons weight and size against them. We are also taught where to hit for maximum damage to your opponent for little expenditure.

Yeah right
So all these masters train a bunch of students for peanuts in a backstreet chrch hall or school building, when they have the tools at there disposal to earn potentail multiple millions by becoming world famous

but no doubt you will tell me how disciplined they are and all the other real tuff nut Boxers and MMA men are 2nd rate

Film Star V World heavyweight champion - you have got to be joking... tell me why no lightweight or welterweight in any fight sport, does not fight the heavy weights - the very same reason a woman does not play men at Tennis or any other physical sport -- and that analogy in my opinion is more feasible than Bruce Lee beating any Professional fighter above his weight
it does not happen - and will never happen

please point out to me Bruce Lee's fighting record, and please dont quote anything from a movie which is Choreographed

I know the Lee 'diehards' will not see past the glossy superman image that he has... and a great fit Martail artist he was... but I say again he would not last a single round with any top 20 Light or heavyweight boxer

Soldato
Buttkicker said:
Film Star V World heavyweight champion - you have got to be joking... tell me why no lightweight or welterweight in any fight sport, does not fight the heavy weights - the very same reason a woman does not play men at Tennis or any other physical sport -- and that analogy in my opinion is more feasible than Bruce Lee beating any Professional fighter above his weight
it does not happen - and will never happen

weight has absolutely nothing to do with success because lee and feder have completely different fighting styles, and i'd like to think they are both at the optimal weight/size for what they do. shouldn't sumo wrestlers by the winners of ultimate fighting championship by using your analogy?

saying that, i have absolutely no idea who would win.

Suspended
OP
Spit said:

How long have you been doing Kung-fu, and what weight are you?

I have boxed since I was young, and cross train in Ju-jitsu and Judo. I also have done some kick boxing, though not extensively. I weight about 245 / 250lbs, fit.

Would you maybe be interested in doing some full contact sparring with 4oz (mma) gloves in the near future? I would be greatly interested to see how easily you can bring someone down as you say. What do you think?

Suspended
OP
ojste said:
weight has absolutely nothing to do with success because lee and feder have completely different fighting styles, and i'd like to think they are both at the optimal weight/size for what they do. shouldn't sumo wrestlers by the winners of ultimate fighting championship by using your analogy?

saying that, i have absolutely no idea who would win.

Why do they have weight classes if it has no affect on how succesful you are?

Back
Top Bottom