BSD Hostname and Mail question.

Soldato
Hi,

When I do:

# uname -a

I get

# thor.thor.mogmail.net

Now this server is meant to be called thor so shouldn't the uname be thor.mogmail.net? Why have I got an extra thor and how do I get rid of it? :)

Secondly I'm trying to test qmail with:

# uname -a | mail [email protected]

I get

# Mail: /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory

I've removed Sendmail completely but why is mail trying to use Sendmail, shouldn't it be using qmail?

Thanks for any help :)

-=R4z0r

Thanks,

-=R4z0r

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Take a browse in your /etc/rc.conf ... your hostname is there (in fact most system stuff is in there) ..the other way would be to use
Code:
/stand/sysinstall
not too sure about the sendmail thingy, I've scrapped my BSD box for another Gentoo install so can't have a look around :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply. I should have made it clearer, I'm using OpenBSD.

I can't find any trace of my hostname is rc.local :(

And /stand/sysinstall dosen't exist :(

What's the commend to search every file on the HDD for a word? Maybe I could find "thor" or hostname to change it?

Soldato
OP
Thanks mate, I actually found it about 20 seconds after posting, doh! I'm gettign really lazy with this forum and asking easy questions withought looking into it! Thanks for replying though :)

I've also managed to sort out the sendmail issue as well I think! The guide I was using didn't seem to mention editing "mail"'s config to reflect the change to qmail! Oh well!

So far so good though, I installed OpenBSD to learn how to make a mailserver and so far I've learnt quite a bit! :p

-=R4z0r

Man of Honour
Nice one mate, personally I would have gone fot Freebsd ... only subtle difference between the two but freebsd has the major advantages of better documentation and support, great userbase, better hardware support, more upto date and larger quantity of ports :)

Associate
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
Nice one mate, personally I would have gone fot Freebsd ... only subtle difference between the two but freebsd has the major advantages of better documentation and support, great userbase, better hardware support, more upto date and larger quantity of ports :)

Only subtle difference's then ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by R4z0r
No way OpenBSD: Uber security, and a groovy mascot... Ok, I'm easily pleased :p

Na! Openbsd "apparently" uber security ;) ... but is no more secure than freebsd or linux ... it's just that it more secure in the standard "out of the box" config since the guys at Open have already done some "locking down" for you. Nobody who's concerned about security would use a default setup anyway. Besides Openbsd seems more secure since theres less exploited security holes ... which is plainly because theres less Openbsd boxes to get compremised :D

edit: The Freebsd Daemon mascot is way cooler than the openbsd Blowfish! .... although I must admit this one does look particularly mean
obsdjlogo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LOL! :)

I still prefer Open tohugh :D I used FreeBSD before and must admit I didn't get on with it although I didn't try it for that long...

OpenBSD just feels cleaner to me, and I like being a bit different. The security is a plus for me as I couldn't lock down a box myself so the secure out of the box is just what I need!

Back
Top Bottom