1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSOD and repair install issue

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by dmx07, 9 Apr 2010.

1. dmx07

Gangster

Hi all,

I returned from a few days away, my better half booted up, logged in to facebook and bam, BSOD. I saw the BSOD for long enough to see 'Page fault' something or other which I think might suggest a ram problem..?

Anyway, I cleared cmos to be sure that my overclock (tested thoroughly a few months ago) wasnt causing the problem. Booted up and its now asking me to either 'start normally' or do a 'repair install'.

As it doesn't see my wireless keyboard I cannot select the normal start. My question is what exactly does a 'repair install' do.. I'm guessing re-installs crucial windows files but should I try to avoid this route and find a ps2 keyboard and try to boot normally?

Gigabyte UD4P EX58
    i7 920 @ 3.7GHz (now reverted to 2.66 default)
    6Gb Ram PC3-10666 (1333)
    Corsair HX520

2. Philtor

Soldato

Sounds like the BSOD has corrupted some system file(s). I would get an old PS2 keyboard for starters and run Memtest to try and isolate the faulty stick of RAM. At this point doing a repair is pointless as chances are the system will BSOD again whilst trying to do the repair.

3. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

what happens when you boot it up ? (when you choose to start normally)

did you try last known good configuration from the F8 (safemode) menu ?

4. dmx07

Gangster

The problem is I cannot choose 'start normally' as by default 'repair' is selected and as the keyboard stops working at this screen I cannot make a selection.

I tried 'last good known' and it always ends up with the 'start normally' or 'start repair' screen where my keybrd stops working..

Will try a ram test as suggested and will also try safemode. thanks.

5. dmx07

Gangster

Well, looks like the mrs sorted the problem while I was at work yesterday! She just allowed the pc to boot into 'repair' and it started ok after that. Looks like a system file may have been corrupted.

This is a woman that asked me what a 'window' was when I once asked her to minimise a window to see another window... :p