BSOD, Hardware or software issue?

Soldato
OP
I’m starting to think it might be the de-lidded cpu after all. As apart from passing memtest86 I’ve check each of the 2 ram sticks in each slot on its own and it’s made no difference.
Right now, I’m gonna rule out RAM, SSD/M.2, GPU as the possible cause.
My concerns now are:
CPU - as I decided it, and maybe something has now gone wrong, so I’ll take it off and check it,
PSU - it’s a silverstone mitx one and I’ve had two fail on me in the past, so maybe it’s sprouted a voltage issue.

Soldato
Have you tried with just the onboard gpu yet?

This would remove some strain from the PSU so if its having issues proving power this may help a bit.

Do you have any overclocks on the CPU? If so remove them and try booting at stock.

the bsod dose point to a hardware issue.

You could always try re seating the cpu and giving everything a clean (including cooler\fan etc)

Soldato
OP
Yes, did try with just onboard video.
I reckon it’s my de-lidded cpu.
When I took it off there were some bits of leaked thermal compound. Probably more importantly, the underside of the cpu; the pins, had some dirt on them too. Easily removed with cotton bud and isopropanol.
I’ve completely re-lidded the cpu and will give it a whirl.
After de-lidding it when I built the rig 2 years ago it did drop my temps by over 10 deg and that’s with the stock intel low profile cooler (due to my case limitations).
Think I’ll get a better cooler now from OCUK. Any recommendations?
If I choose one with a copper IHS I could use the grizzly liquid metal maybe?

Soldato
OP
lol and then the stock low profile intel cooler had a broken leg.
So I now I can’t test it without a new cooler anyway.
Thinking of the Noctua NH-L9i.

edit: not ordered from OCUK for a while, but since when did they start charging members for delivery?
No longer makes them the cheapest.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol and then the stock low profile intel cooler had a broken leg.
So I now I can’t test it without a new cooler anyway.
Thinking of the Noctua NH-L9i.

edit: not ordered from OCUK for a while, but since when did they start charging members for delivery?
No longer makes them the cheapest.
You can get free delivery, check the link below

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...17943556/?utm_source=forums&utm_medium=banner

You may need to link your forum name etc to your OCUK account.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
My forum account has been linked for over a decade now and I’ve spent thousands with OCUK!
I’ll have another look, thanks

edit: had to relink it and all good again now, thanks bud.
No problem, free delivery does make a difference where you buy from as other places can charge up to £10 (Maybe more for bigger items)

Soldato
OP
Actually, it’s knocked it off again and wants to charge delivery. When I try to relink my forum account again it fails and asks me to fill in a bug report.
I’m on my iPad though so might try on laptop later.

Soldato
OP
I’m a good customer of my local computer shop so I’ll ask him if he has a spare intel low profile cooler to replace one with jus to test my re-lidding of the cpu.
If everything still fails, I might rebuild entirely using different chipset, maybe even go AMD next time.

Soldato
OP
Well dayem!
Noctua NH-L9i arrived earlier, fitted it and.......same BSOD,
So, I now have to try and get hold of an 1151 cpu to test in place of my de-lidded 8700k, if that fails then I need to try and get hold of an 1151 mobo to test with the 8700k. Only then am I really going to know what component is causing me such a headache.

Soldato
Well dayem!
Noctua NH-L9i arrived earlier, fitted it and.......same BSOD,
So, I now have to try and get hold of an 1151 cpu to test in place of my de-lidded 8700k, if that fails then I need to try and get hold of an 1151 mobo to test with the 8700k. Only then am I really going to know what component is causing me such a headache.
I think you have narrowed it down to the CPU or motherboard. On the CPU or Mobo did you see any bent pins that could be causing the BSOD?

Cheapest CPU on 1151 is a Celeron on OCUK for £52.99, maybe able to get a cheap one in the MM or off the bay

Soldato
OP
Yeah trying to avoid buying one. Cheapest new as you said is £52, but I wouldn’t want to use it in any rig I build, so would be a waste really. Don’t want to buy used in case it’s duff.
No bent pins, but there was a bit of muck on them which I inspected with a magnifying glass to ensure I’d cleaned it.
I’m interested to try my 8700k on another mobo as I hope the cpu is ok; more expensive than mobo anyway.
Luckily I emailed a friendly local P.C. shop (who I’ve used for over a decade) he’s gonna look to see if he has a spare 1151 mobo and cpu I can borrow to test. Fingers crossed.

Soldato
Yeah trying to avoid buying one. Cheapest new as you said is £52, but I wouldn’t want to use it in any rig I build, so would be a waste really. Don’t want to buy used in case it’s duff.
No bent pins, but there was a bit of muck on them which I inspected with a magnifying glass to ensure I’d cleaned it.
I’m interested to try my 8700k on another mobo as I hope the cpu is ok; more expensive than mobo anyway.
Luckily I emailed a friendly local P.C. shop (who I’ve used for over a decade) he’s gonna look to see if he has a spare 1151 mobo and cpu I can borrow to test. Fingers crossed.
that’s good to hear, hope it’s not the cpu.

If they provide a 1151 cpu then test that in your rig as it will tell you instantly what the problem is. Just a pain as a spare mobo or cpu is not a thing most people have spare as intel change the sockets too often.

you can only do so much texting before it starts to cost you to find the fault of a friend with the same socket pc etc

Soldato
OP
Ok, so my pc shop friend has ID'd a faulty cpu. He put his own 8700k in and it worked fine.
So, he's replacing the cpu like for like and charging me £200 total (inc, testing and re-build).
Can't grumble, but money i would have rather put towards a newer chipset.
But then, since i pre-ordered the Quest 2 last night, i'm gonna be short on cash for a while :(

Thanks for all your input ED209, really appreciate it.

Soldato
Ok, so my pc shop friend has ID'd a faulty cpu. He put his own 8700k in and it worked fine.
So, he's replacing the cpu like for like and charging me £200 total (inc, testing and re-build).
Can't grumble, but money i would have rather put towards a newer chipset.
But then, since i pre-ordered the Quest 2 last night, i'm gonna be short on cash for a while :(

Thanks for all your input ED209, really appreciate it.
No problem at all glad it’s finally resolved and you have it up and running.

shame the cpu died, have you checked the cpu for any damage etc? Very rear for a cpu to die but guess it goes happen.

cost is not too bad as you would have either had to buy a cheap cpu to use in the mean time and then pay out more for a replacement cpu or new mobo and cpu if going AMD route. Shame more mobos didn’t have a display with a error code stating if it’s a cpu/gpu/mobo or ram failure as that would have helped a lot.

Soldato
OP
I checked the cpu for damage with a magnifying glass prior to sending it to the shop. I have it back so I can have another look, but. I guess even the slightest almost invisible scratch on a pin could render it useless.
Also, maybe the delidding finally screwed it after 2 years of use.

If I was to upgrade now I’d probably go for the i5-1066k on a z490 board as it seems to be the best gaming cpu for the price. I’ve always been a snob and bought i7, but in reality, it’s a gaming rig and i7 isn’t really beneficial for the difference in price, especially as the 1066k is 6-core. Might also move away from m-itx and go m-atx to get more overclocks with better cooling.

Soldato
I checked the cpu for damage with a magnifying glass prior to sending it to the shop. I have it back so I can have another look, but. I guess even the slightest almost invisible scratch on a pin could render it useless.
Also, maybe the delidding finally screwed it after 2 years of use.

If I was to upgrade now I’d probably go for the i5-1066k on a z490 board as it seems to be the best gaming cpu for the price. I’ve always been a snob and bought i7, but in reality, it’s a gaming rig and i7 isn’t really beneficial for the difference in price, especially as the 1066k is 6-core. Might also move away from m-itx and go m-atx to get more overclocks with better cooling.

I had a similar issue with my I7 950.

I would get random BSOD and no matter what I did nothing resolved it and then one day it shut down and refused to turn back on. I tried a different PSU, different slots for ram, re seating cables and nothing.

So, I decided to upgrade. I went for the I7 9700K, 16GB of ram and a MSI mobo. Got it all setup and same issue, refused to turn on. I then bought a new PSU and everything has been fine since and this was now a year and a half ago.

Just strange i tried a different PSU did not fix this even though it was fully working from my son's PC

Soldato
OP
Yeah, random problems make eejits out of the most experienced system builders.
I first thought it might be my psu, but the shop tested the role rich by just replacing the cpu and it allowed them to re-install windows 10 pro back onto my m.2.
I’ve not tried it yet, so we’ll see. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Well it’s all works.....but.......he replaced it with an 8700, not the K (unlocked) chip.
After ensuring he’d replace it like for like, I’d told him I was thinking of moving to a bigger form factor so I could overlock it and get more life from it.
Now even thats scuppered.
Will be an uncomfortable conversation on Monday for sure. :(

Soldato
Well it’s all works.....but.......he replaced it with an 8700, not the K (unlocked) chip.
After ensuring he’d replace it like for like, I’d told him I was thinking of moving to a bigger form factor so I could overlock it and get more life from it.
Now even thats scuppered.
Will be an uncomfortable conversation on Monday for sure. :(

If its like for like it should have been a K version.

Have you spoken to them about this?

The clock speeds are not the same (only thing the same is the name minus the K) so its not like for like as they have given you a slower processor! (base is 500mhz slower and turbo is 100mhz slower)

I7 8700
  • # of Cores6
  • # of Threads12
  • Processor Base Frequency3.20 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency4.60 GHz
  • Cache12 MB Intel® Smart Cache
  • Bus Speed8 GT/s
  • Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Frequency‡4.60 GHz
  • TDP65 W
I7 8700K
  • # of Cores6
  • # of Threads12