BT 8mb problems :-(

Associate
I recently got BT 8mb internet and things started of fine i was getting 8.1mb although i wasnt happy with the average 30ms as iam closer to an exchage than my old place by about 2 miles and i got better ping there :confused: anyway i removed the extention cable from the bt phone socket http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
it was connected to the IDC connectors so i have removed it because the phone line comes into the bedroom first then goes down stairs and of course i need a microfilter in the line.So after having to remove all the wires to get the thing off i attached it back hoping to maybe see an inproment in things but instead i now get 6.4 mb and pings og 30ms to 50ms and on entering a game it starts on something stupid like 400ms wtf is going.
Bt was a waste of time the bloke didnt know what i was on about and i couldnt understand him anyway as he was in one of there many foreign call centres.
Please help me its driving me wild :(

Associate
OP
forgot to say i aciddently rubbed the live telephone wires on some of the electric parts like the capacitor type things,could this have damaged anything?

Associate
gash can I suggest that you register and post this problem in the appropriate forum at http://www.adslguide.org.uk ? It's just about the best place to get networking/broadband advice. Lots of the posters on there are BT engineers and networking gurus etc (and some hangers-on, like me lol) - I'm sure someone over there is going to be able to help you out

Good luck
Pups

PS Just having read through your original email, they may have turned "interleaving" on for your connection at the exchange , which is really bad for gaming because it does affect pings quite drastically etc - check out that issue too (it can be switched off if you insist - you might have to get quite pushy with India though :( )

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some patience would go a long way.

Your stats (attenuation, SNR margin, sync rate) would be useful too.

As suggested, it's possible interleaving's been enabled (which would explain the increase in ping), and your target SNR's possibly been turned up too (which would explain the reduced speed). Did you leave the modem connected while you messed around with the wiring?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No i had to unplug it as it was in the way.Also my BB phone line has gone dead after speaking to one of BTs useless foreign call centre workers.Iam not sure wether getting the gain turned up could be a good start?
So where would be the best place to start the help and support from BT?
thx

Last edited:
Associate
I had the same problems with pings after BT upgraded me. Phone them up and tell them to remove interleaving from your line and your pings will go back to normal, if not better.

Associate
OP
i dont meen to sound stupid but where would be the best place to go as bt has so many different areas for techinical support and i dont want to be stuck talking to idia if i can help it as i really do struggle to understand most of them :(

Associate
OP
Ive managed to stabalise the ping and iam impressed with how stable it is in BF2 as it was holding at 40ms to 42ms but its still to high as i live only about half a mile from the exchange so ive sent BT an e-mail asking them to turn of the interleave.
I had a nose at the voyager 220v settings and under status=broadband line=latency type it says interleave which i presume meens its turned on.
I will keep you posted.
thx for the help so far ;)

Caporegime
Interleaving being enabled might explain your reduced sync rate - IIRC the maximum is in the 7000s.

The distance you are from the exchange is irrelevant to your ping - there's a hell of a lot more than half a mile between the exchange and the ISP.

Associate
OP
i can imagine that there is a lot more cable underground but i can walk to my exchange in about 10 mins so i was presumming it would be a better ping than my old house that was a 3 mile drive to the exchange.

Associate
OP
O.K i phoned BT today to ask for the interleaving to be turned off and i was instructed to do it through the Voyager 220v menu with the process being to go to the voice menu=voice quality and to change the bandwidth from low 43kb/s to high 106kb/s so is this turned off now or have i just been done again on one of BTs many premiun lines :confused: as my ping hasnt changed.
Using T.J ping for ping test

Caporegime
You've just been had. The only way interleaving can be disabled is at the BTw end, and you're going to need the ISP to do it.

Associate
OP
They are going to turn it off in the next 5 days so we shall see how things are at the end of that.
What a game though i got tossed between to call centres for 5 days :mad:

Associate
OP
WOW ping has dropped from an average of 30ms to 32ms in tjping to 17ms :D :D :D :D thx guys couldnt have done it with out you.
Anyone watching out there do this before you do anything else to try and drop your ping.
Thx again

Back
Top Bottom