BT/EE Full Fibre to the Home Services

Soldato
Is anyone here using any of the Full Fibre 100 (BT) or Fibre Max (EE) Internet services? - This is where you actually get a fibre cable installed to your home rather than via a copper cable over a phone line.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/fibre-max-broadband

If you are could you please let me know the following:

- What is run into the home in terms of cable?
- What device/s are supplied?
- How is the performance?

I've been offered the Fibre Max from EE and being a EE mobile customer I also get a slight discount on the advertised figures and am contemplating of moving to a Full Fibre product.

Man of Honour
The exterior will look much the same as it is now, although on the interior you'll have an Openreach ONT and that then plugs into your router.

If you don't already have FTTP at the house be prepared to wait several months for install due to Covid.

Performance wise it's excellent and shouldn't make any difference if you go with BT, Zen, EE etc, but I would go with EE due to the extra discount you get already being a mobile customer.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far, I've been given a 8-10 week lead time for installation which I am fine with.

My current FTTC/vDSL connection is working fine other than the occasional drop and at peak times it does appear to get throttled.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies so far, I've been given a 8-10 week lead time for installation which I am fine with.

My current FTTC/vDSL connection is working fine other than the occasional drop and at peak times it does appear to get throttled.
From other posts on here, I'd be surprised if it's installed in 8-10 weeks. If you have the option to get FTTP installed I absolutely wouldn't hesitate, even if you don't need the higher 900 Mbps speeds you're still future proofing yourself and moving away from copper lines and their associated issues.

Soldato

Im having it installed on the 18th - I’ll see if I can remember to reply back to the thread with the setup.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Soldato
Im having it installed on the 18th - I’ll see if I can remember to reply back to the thread with the setup.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

I had mine down last month and this was the set up:

- What is run into the home in terms of cable? - Black fibre optic cable pulled to your home.
- What device/s are supplied? - A grey box attached to property outside for the fibre optic splicing/joining), they will then run a cable around the house to where you want your ONT box installed inside the property and drill a hole into the property. The ONT box will be installed inside your property (Size of ONT is square slightly smaller than a CD).
- How is the performance? Great!

Associate
I ordered BT FTTP in October 2020, BT came to fit in November but the engineer couldn't draw the fibre cable to the house. Virgin had blocked up the BT ducts when they installed their cabling a year or so ago. So needed to wait for Openreach to come out and unblock the duct. They came out in December and pulled the cable through, the engineer returned a few days later and fitted the (my fibre box is white) the ONT. I went with the 900 Mbps (we're a very heavy user of internet during the day). Been very happy, no drops and getting more than the min speed so about 895 down and 90/100 odd up.

I had mine down last month and this was the set up:

- What is run into the home in terms of cable? - Black fibre optic cable pulled to your home.
- What device/s are supplied? - A grey box attached to property outside for the fibre optic splicing/joining), they will then run a cable around the house to where you want your ONT box installed inside the property and drill a hole into the property. The ONT box will be installed inside your property (Size of ONT is square slightly smaller than a CD).
- How is the performance? Great!

Had mine the middle of last year basically same as this

Im actually on the lowest tier, think it was 80/20 and for two people its more than enough unless you have a very specific need for lots of throughput, or your very impatient ;)

My only issue was the router (well with BT), The fibre uses one of the four ports on the back, where as ADSL you use the 5th, so you have 4 out, with fibre only 3 out in effect, I needed 4, so I had to buy a small hub as well. No big drama but its carefully worded that you can miss this when you read of the 4 ports on the router.
The router however is actually really good, whatever version the latest home hub is, its got very good signal strength.

Oh and the ONT box also uses a power supply as well of course so you need to consider that where you have the cable brought through.

Soldato
If there isn’t a customer splice point already fitted externally though @happy_2008 won’t they just do the connectorised install? i.e just drill hole in wall, pull fibre through, then mechanically splice the connector to the cable and plug into ONT? It’s how ours was done a year or two back.

Soldato
If there isn’t a customer splice point already fitted externally though @happy_2008 won’t they just do the connectorised install? i.e just drill hole in wall, pull fibre through, then mechanically splice the connector to the cable and plug into ONT? It’s how ours was done a year or two back.

When they fitted my external splice point they left plent of fibre cable inside the box for any errors etc, i recall i did make the point to the engineer on why there was soo much coiler fibre inside.

Associate
Had this in my last house, gutted can't get it where I live now.

In mine, they ran a fibre connection to a new outside box, was routed through the existing BT duct via a drawline from the BT inspection chamber in the footpath.

This then connected to the ONT box in the lounge, that as above also needed a power supply.

From the ONT box you then connect this with an RJ45 cable to the BT Router.

I only had the 150mb connection (was plenty for my needs), but it leaves the options open for upgrading with no hassle.

The connection was rock solid as well.

Soldato
Mine was installed today. A new box was added outside the house just above the existing virgin media box and on the other side of this wall, another box was added which is in the living room.

I'm currently getting ~200-250 mbps download but this is over wifi. Don't have my laptop to test a wired connection yet although the email they've sent says it can take up to 10 days to hit full speeds - I've signed up for 900 mbps.

Will see how it goes over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom