BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Soldato
I know they shape P2P but how is it for gaming? Xbox, PS3 or PC.

Had no problems with gaming, though don't do very much multiplayer these days.

How about download speeds or torrrents? be that MMO clients or other stuff.
What about Usenet?

I rarely use Bittorrent anymore, but the few times I have used it in the last few months it has been OK. I generally expect to wait all night for torrents anyway, as all the ones I tend to get have no seeds!

Usenet is fantabulous. I connect via SSL and I don't think I have ever seen it below 3.0MB/s and I download at various times of the day.

Does the Homehub work ok? does it handle multiple users well or are games going to be killed by somone downloading a torrent or using skyplayer?

The HH is alright, but I replaced it after a month with an Asus RT-N16 running TomatoUSB. The HH is fine if you don't need anything fancy, but its interface annoyed me and the wireless was a bit flaky at times.

And are they going to change the date for my area again? it was 31dec2010 now its end of march 2011

Question for BT I think! :p

Associate
I currently use Aquiss.

They have a business package and a home package.

I generally find as a gamer and offpeak downloader that the business is best.

Sure 45gb sounds like a very small amount, but it's only onpeak times, after 8pm and the whole weekend is unlimited with no traffic shaping what so ever.

Speedtest

The above equates to 4.65MB/s on usenet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Except Zen and eclipse i havent heard of most of those listed. Why hasnt a main stream ISP jumped on this yet? im guesing its down to reselling price? note how every one of those is significantly more than BTs offer.

Soldato
I currently use Aquiss.

They have a business package and a home package.

I generally find as a gamer and offpeak downloader that the business is best.

Sure 45gb sounds like a very small amount, but it's only onpeak times, after 8pm and the whole weekend is unlimited with no traffic shaping what so ever.

Speedtest

The above equates to 4.65MB/s on usenet.

Iam also on Aquiss FTTC , there is not traffic shaping as such BUT there is ALT

Anti profit Loss Tool , if too much bandwidth is being used on an access node everyone on that node starts to get throttled until utilisation drops.

So you might start a download at 4.3MB/s but after 30 seconds your speed
begins to drop (I have seen it drop as low as 220KB/s )
After being with them 1 week my average for all the downloads I have done
is about 2.5MB/s - 3.0MB/s (need crunch more numbers tonight)

Associate
Iam also on Aquiss FTTC , there is not traffic shaping as such BUT there is ALT

Anti profit Loss Tool , if too much bandwidth is being used on an access node everyone on that node starts to get throttled until utilisation drops.

So you might start a download at 4.3MB/s but after 30 seconds your speed
begins to drop (I have seen it drop as low as 220KB/s )
After being with them 1 week my average for all the downloads I have done
is about 2.5MB/s - 3.0MB/s (need crunch more numbers tonight)

Is this not the case with all BT Wholesale products though?

If so then surely this applies no matter what ISP you go with for FTTC.

Soldato

This type of dropping outside of bittorrent and 300GB FUP limits haven't been reported by BT Infinity customer afaik.

Man of Honour
Except Zen and eclipse i havent heard of most of those listed. Why hasnt a main stream ISP jumped on this yet? im guesing its down to reselling price? note how every one of those is significantly more than BTs offer.
There's no point in an ISP which has an existing LLU platform going with FFTC. Their business models are based on using cheaper third party backhauls to exchanges which offer a decent return on the investment. Going FFTC would mean having to use BT's backhauls which are more expensive so they wouldn't be able to offer the same improved price/performance ratio that LLU gives them.

The ISPs listed in the article are the smaller niche ISPs which tend to sell themselves on quality rather than price. There are enough people who are willing to pay extra for better support and better capacity to keep the ISPs going at the higher price.

Soldato

No , the depends on how the ISP manages traffic coming onto their network

When a node hit 90% capacity enta then begin the throttle everyone connected through that node

I cannot say what other ISP's do

Soldato
No, it doesn't.

I'm just going on a post in the ThinkBroadband forums by a guy claiming to work for an ISP doing an evaluation of the Tech.
Too early to tell if he was right or not, It'll take a couple of years for takeup to be significant.

If you have any hard evidence to the contrary I'd love to hear it though.

Soldato
I'm just going on a post in the ThinkBroadband forums by a guy claiming to work for an ISP doing an evaluation of the Tech.
Too early to tell if he was right or not, It'll take a couple of years for takeup to be significant.

But he's some guy on a forum as well :D

I think evidence has to be shown that the sync speeds will fall rather than that they won't.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

He was talking out of his arse! :)

Post the same question at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html if you need proof.

Associate
Just thought i'd add to my earlier expereinces that p2p download throttling really does depends on congestion at the time. Atm i've got a torrent going at about 10mbps, time is 7:32pm, thursday evening :D

Soldato
Why are you uploading torrents at 10Mbps?

I completely understand why they throttle p2p uploads to 1Mbps.

Imagine at peak time a large number of users uploading at 10Mbps (would easily happen since so many users don't bother to cap uploads in bittorrent clients). Completely cripple the network.

Last edited:
Associate
Why are you uploading torrents at 10Mbps?

I completely understand why they throttle p2p uploads to 1Mbps.

Imagine at peak time a large number of users uploading at 10Mbps. Completely cripple the network.

Downloading at 10mbps :p, and bt do say they give p2p lower priority at peak times so i'm just assuming theres ample capacity round me or else p2p would be the first to be cut down at these times.

Soldato
Downloading at 10mbps :p, and bt do say they give p2p lower priority at peak times so i'm just assuming theres ample capacity round me or else p2p would be the first to be cut down at these times.

Do they throttle downloads? I thought it was only uploads (which indirectly affect downloads).

Back
Top Bottom