BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I have ordered FTTC and the installation date is on Monday :D. The ISP I am with is providing a router, the Netgear WNR1000. It does not have Gigabit Ethernet, which I would like, so I am looking for a Gigabit Ethernet router with Wireless N Wi-Fi.

Can anyone recommend me a good router for FTTC with Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless N Wi-Fi? I was looking at the Asus RT-N56U but I am not sure if it will work with FTTC.

Associate
On the HH3 only Port No 4 is gigabit capable.

1 plus the WAN port... well that is what I believe, that is why I never even took it out the box and bought a Netgear WNDR4500. 1 gigabit port is no good to me!

My thoughts exactly.

I want to connect my PC to my PS3 with gigabit connection, for media streaming (both have gigabit ports). So should I get a switch or upgrade the router?

I won't have BT Infinity until I move house in a month.

Man of Honour
I have ordered FTTC and the installation date is on Monday :D. The ISP I am with is providing a router, the Netgear WNR1000. It does not have Gigabit Ethernet, which I would like, so I am looking for a Gigabit Ethernet router with Wireless N Wi-Fi.

Can anyone recommend me a good router for FTTC with Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless N Wi-Fi? I was looking at the Asus RT-N56U but I am not sure if it will work with FTTC.
THe ASUS works only on cable/FTTC, and it's a great router.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Asus RT-N56U will work with Infinity.

As will as the Netgear WNDR3800 N600

I currently use the Asus RT-N56U as my router for FTTC and I can't really fault it. However, my only gripe is with port forwarding as you can forward all fine but to lock it down to a single IP (external) you have to enable telnet and admen it via cli. Good old IP tables. :)

Man of Honour
What's going on with my graph?

fcf35dc26e5f360a91dee58d26b5f6e0-16-05-2012.png

Permabanned
BT Fail got an email from sky saying i can get fibre, tried BT they say I can't, however I know that a load of the cabinets round here have been upgraded and have stickers on them saying get infinity now.

have ordered with sky will see what happens with the install by open reach

Associate
[RXP]Andy;21934021 said:
I currently use the Asus RT-N56U as my router for FTTC and I can't really fault it. However, my only gripe is with port forwarding as you can forward all fine but to lock it down to a single IP (external) you have to enable telnet and admen it via cli. Good old IP tables. :)

Do you mean that router supports multiple external IPs? So if you get a allocated block from your ISP you can use them all and forward different ports on different IPs to internal services? Been looking for another router that does that for a while.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Do you mean that router supports multiple external IPs? So if you get a allocated block from your ISP you can use them all and forward different ports on different IPs to internal services? Been looking for another router that does that for a while.

No, the asus does not support multiple IPs to the best of my knowledge. Id recommend a Juniper SSG or a SRX if you have a requirement for multiple IP support. As we normally use them at work when a customer has a requirement for a /28 block for example.

Man of Honour
[RXP]Andy;21938896 said:
No, the asus does not support multiple IPs to the best of my knowledge. Id recommend a Juniper SSG or a SRX if you have a requirement for multiple IP support. As we normally use them at work when a customer has a requirement for a /28 block for example.

Am I missing something here but if his WAN IP changes then he should just use a dynamic DNS such as http://www.no-ip.com/

Keep the port forward on the router and just browse to his WAN IP : port number, job done.

The ASUS even supports http://www.no-ip.com/

Associate
Am I missing something here but if his WAN IP changes then he should just use a dynamic DNS such as http://www.no-ip.com/

Keep the port forward on the router and just browse to his WAN IP : port number, job done.

The ASUS even supports http://www.no-ip.com/

Yes, you are missing something, we're talking about getting assigned a *range* of static IP addresses, not a single dynamic IP that changes every time you reconnect like BT assigns.

Associate
Openreach engineer turned up here this morning as scheduled, played around at the exchange for a couple of hours and announced he couldn't get it working. Second failure in the cabinet apparently. Annoying to say the least...

Back
Top Bottom