BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Steam is now only dl at 800-1mb now, but speed test is showing 30-40mb?

Is this inconsistency normal for the first few hrs of having Infinity installed?

I mean earlier i was dl at 82mb and now im at under 1mb when dl from steam?

Steam just launched their summer sale so servers under heavy load. You should always test speeds from multiple sites (and ideally over multiple protocols) when looking at these sort of things.

Associate
It's easy to get around the p2p throttling with uTorrent, just use these settings...

Options > Preferences

Connection:
> Port used for incoming connections: 21

Bandwidth:
> "Global Rate Limit Options" - Untick all three boxes here.

BitTorrent:
> "Basic BitTorrent Features" - ensure all boxes are ticked except "Enable Bandwidth Management" and "Limit local peer bandwidth"
> "Protocol Encryption" - Outgoing: Forced. Allow incoming legacy connections: Ticked.

I can download at 6.8MB/s with those settings (my full speed). With default uTorrent settings i get barely 20KB/s, and it's definitely due to BT throttling because on my other net connection with Talk Talk i can download at full speed with default uTorrent settings.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My modem used to seemingly 'hang' every couple of weeks, I could tell as my IP address changed however the uptime on the modem wasn't affected. I've since wall mounted it behind my desk rather than having it sat in the TV cabinet and until I had to unplug it the other night it had been going without a single hitch for 2 months or so.

Caporegime
My modem used to seemingly 'hang' every couple of weeks, I could tell as my IP address changed however the uptime on the modem wasn't affected. I've since wall mounted it behind my desk rather than having it sat in the TV cabinet and until I had to unplug it the other night it had been going without a single hitch for 2 months or so.

Cheers for this, must look at wall mounting mine :)

Associate
Had BT Infinity for a month now, really happy with my speeds! :D

2064032687.png

Associate
Cheers for this, must look at wall mounting mine :)

Definitely do. People may remember mine kept crapping out even though it was wall mounted inside a cupboard, so I tried taking it out of the cupboard and sitting it on the desk (out of direct sunlight). Still crapped out. Now I've blue-tacked it the side of the cupboard it was in before, and it's been fine ever since. Bah!

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Mines been wall mounted since day one. Never missed a beat, and never gets even remotely warm never mind hot. :)

Associate
I have posted my question in the Sky Fibre thread but it is equally applicable here so:

I've been offered Line Rental + Unlimited Calls + Fibre for £28 p/m from Sky (loyal customer). Phone activation is due 23/07 and Fibre the following day 24/07. Ordered phone services on 06/07 and Fibre on 09/07. Fingers crossed the switch over from BT is painless!

BT did offer a similar deal but with 80/20 Infinity for £38 p/m. Could always upgrade to Sky Fibre Pro for additional £10...Both contracts are for 12 months and im slightly put of by Sky not offering annual payment for line rental anymore and it is set to increase on Sept 1st to £14.60 p/m!!

Now which would you guys take? Bearing in mind that both are for 12 months and if i take one offer who knows what the prices will be when i go to renew/renegotiate my contract for another 12 months?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom