BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
If you only get 60Mbit on FTTC then G.fast is most likely not going to work reliably for you. The exception would be if the reason your FTTC sync is low is because of the physical distance between your FTTC cabinet and the cabinet that your line terminates in.

Caporegime
If you only get 60Mbit on FTTC then G.fast is most likely not going to work reliably for you. The exception would be if the reason your FTTC sync is low is because of the physical distance between your FTTC cabinet and the cabinet that your line terminates in.
I think he’s moving? He mentions ‘the new address’?

Soldato
I'm currently in BT provisioning hell as they are struggling to understand why a 20mbps upload isn't right on my line when it's meant to be 30mbps, and apparently when they flipped my subscription back they didn't add the halo back on.

They kept on using the argument that the minimum they guarantee is 10mbps. I am trying to persuade them that my line was, and is, capable of doing the advertised 30mbps I had before, and they have set the wrong profile on my line.

Fun times! couldn't really fault BT before this debacle though.

Soldato
Just had mine installed.

Getting an average sustained 528Mbit down and 75 Mbit up.

Ping time and consistency is much, much better than VM.

Huawei ONT was installed... :eek: :p;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I wonder will Openreach have to remove them all at their cost in three, four or five years time?

I'd be surprised if there's not some (confidenti) element of reimbursement from the government on this one. You can't retroactively place a ban on a vendor and expect the companies affected to foot the bill themselves.

How much more can I expect out of this line. It went live on Monday.

My guess is you'll get to around 75Mbps once the SnR margin drops to 3. Your downstream seems pretty low for the attenuation at the moment though, so maybe some internal wiring is dragging it down. I'm getting around 70Mbps on a longer line:

YZNIqsr.png

Permabanned
MATERIALS - TOTAL
Labour £5,208.00
Stores £3,392.00
Contract Labour -
Civils £750.00
Civils Stores -
Tree Cutting -
Connection Charge £495.00
Total Charges (excl. VAT) £ 9,845.00

PP Deduction £ (800.00)
Survey Fee £ (250.00)
Total Charges Payable (excl. VAT) £ 8,795.00

Gigabit Voucher £ (2,500.00)
Total Charges Payable (less Gb Voucher) £ 6,295.00

Surveyor reckoned it was 400m to the nearest aggregation node.

Permabanned
That's not too bad for the distance.

Good to know, though the 'total charges payable' seems suspiciously devoid of VAT given that the other subtotals explicitly mention it being excluded. If that is the case then the 'true' cost is £7,554.

I think it'll end up being roughly cost-neutral on monthlies as I can cancel the two BT landlines and broadband packages I have, which I can roll over to a VoIP service.

Soldato
Not bad at all. My parents had a “rough estimate” of £100,000 for a fibre connection of which a government grant of £3,400 was available. Not quite sure if that was FTTP but if it was then that’s not what was required... £100k though! Ouch!

Soldato
BT updated me today after I put in a complaint to get them to sort my speed out properly.

I tried to persuade the normal support people that I was meant to be getting 30mbps down but they kept telling me as long as I was getting 10mbps upload then I was above their minimum, despite me pointing out that full fibre 100 is meant to be 30mbps. Hard work :rolleyes:

Apparently getting fixed on Monday. I should then be on the Full Fibre 100 with Halo 1 for £30/month for a bit.

No idea how they came to that pricing as that wasn't what I had before, but oh well, it will do for a bit.

Soldato
BT updated me today after I put in a complaint to get them to sort my speed out properly.

I tried to persuade the normal support people that I was meant to be getting 30mbps down but they kept telling me as long as I was getting 10mbps upload then I was above their minimum, despite me pointing out that full fibre 100 is meant to be 30mbps. Hard work :rolleyes:

Apparently getting fixed on Monday. I should then be on the Full Fibre 100 with Halo 1 for £30/month for a bit.

No idea how they came to that pricing as that wasn't what I had before, but oh well, it will do for a bit.

My biggest issue with BT has always been finding someone who will actually follow BT’s process properly. Imagine escalating it to the High Level/CEO complaints team and getting a deadlock letter because the person you were dealing with disagreed with the PR team and OR and even when you sent them a link to the press release confirming what you were telling them and told them who to contact to confirm what you said was correct, they still maliciously deadlocked you. Twice. Eventually they realised, but it turned a quite simple issue into something that cost them over a grand.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Had an email from BT saying they were upgrading my package, got exited thinking they’d bump my speed up.

Sadly not, just that they are putting me on Halo 1 at no extra charge, not too fussed on that but does say there’s also a guarantee that my renewal price won’t be more than I pay now once contract is up.

Soldato
Had an email from BT saying they were upgrading my package, got exited thinking they’d bump my speed up.

Sadly not, just that they are putting me on Halo 1 at no extra charge, not too fussed on that but does say there’s also a guarantee that my renewal price won’t be more than I pay now once contract is up.

Ah I thought that was for people that had BT Plus and it was like the replacement for it.

What is your new package and cost?

Back
Top Bottom