BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
It's a shame they can't be powered from the Hub via PoE, Virgin Media do the same thing in their FTTP areas - you need a separate power supply for the optical node outside the house.

Soldato
A question about the box they install inside the home (My installation is Monday)

I assume it needs power, but any reason why it needs to be "near a double socket"

Is that just because the BT engineer will need two plugs? One for the box and one for the Smart Hub?

Yeah the modem needs power + the BT Hub or whatever other router you use.

Soldato
FTTP has a section on TalkTalk's website now, no prices listed and you have to phone up

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/futurefibre

Interesting, especially about the line rental bit.

"Don't pay for a landline you don't use with this broadband-only plan"

I am not a fan of TalkTalk but if it means cheaper prices are offered without line rental by other vendors then that can only be a good thing.

Haven't had a phone ever connected to my line as I use my mobile instead.

Caporegime
From a quick read of the forums TalkTalk have no way of even giving you a landline phone if you order FTTP, which seems like a bit of an oversight.

Associate
Interesting, especially about the line rental bit.

"Don't pay for a landline you don't use with this broadband-only plan"

I am not a fan of TalkTalk but if it means cheaper prices are offered without line rental by other vendors then that can only be a good thing.

Haven't had a phone ever connected to my line as I use my mobile instead.

You don't pay a separate Line Rental charge anyway for FTTP. Line rental is a copper network thing.

Its likely just TalkTalk's consumer level VoIP product isn't ready so they are launching it as data only.

Caporegime
Are you looking on the TalkTalk UFO checker? That's not the same network - Openreach charge ISPs £38 per month for the 1000/115 linking the customer back to the exchange, so you're not getting gigabit fibre on the Openreach network for £28 per month.

Soldato
Are you looking on the TalkTalk UFO checker? That's not the same network - Openreach charge ISPs £38 per month for the 1000/115 linking the customer back to the exchange, so you're not getting gigabit fibre on the Openreach network for £28 per month.

Do you work for bt or similar? Interesting price if so gives a floor for price.

Caporegime
Then any ISP that is offering FTTP using the Openreach network can give you a 'gigabit' service. BT are I think the cheapest option currently, but Zen can provide it as well. Where people get confused is that these new build sites are fibre only, so there's no FTTC, ADSL or copper telephone line option, so they can't transfer their cheap Plusnet FTTC across and assume that only BT are allowed to provide a service.

When you order, give the ISP the barcode on the ONT and you'll probably get activated within a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom