BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
That you seemingly can’t tell us any basic info about how you are connected (via wired/wireless/powerline/string) or what the router is currently sync’d at or that you are the only person using the connection/nothing else is downloading makes this unreasonably difficult.

Ah, I was concentrating on the BT side.

There is a single laptop and phone connected, moving the laptop to the router doesnt make any difference in download via https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

The current rate roughly matches the BT speed test results above.

The router has a traffic monitor so I can see what is roughly happening, most of the time its idle, then it spikes when doing the speedtest

dsl-fri-21-aug-0-2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, I was concentrating on the BT side.

There is a single laptop and phone connected, moving the laptop to the router doesnt make any difference in download via https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

The current rate roughly matches the BT speed test results above.

The router has a traffic monitor so I can see what is roughly happening, most of the time its idle, then it spikes when doing the speedtest

d0b561d32850c956cced5fe113316264-full.jpg

No, we can’t see the pic, and no you still haven’t told us how you are connected to the router or the actual sync speed, though as you mention ‘moving closer’ it sounds like you may be using WiFi which is the first variable you can eliminate by using a cable to test. Either way without basic information it’s almost impossible to tell if something is actually wrong with the connection or if the fault is a local one.

Associate
No, we can’t see the pic, and no you still haven’t told us how you are connected to the router or the actual sync speed, though as you mention ‘moving closer’ it sounds like you may be using WiFi which is the first variable you can eliminate by using a cable to test. Either way without basic information it’s almost impossible to tell if something is actually wrong with the connection or if the fault is a local one.

OK, I have used a different hosting site, can you see it now?

Wifi or ethernet doesnt make any different on BT speedtest

Associate
Here is the other pic that failed to display

dsl-fri-21-aug-0-3.jpg

WBC ADSL 2+
Up to 17 -- 15 to 18.5(I guess this is distance estimated)

Max Observed Downstream Speed 24.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed 9.86
Observed Date 2020-08-20

Caporegime
Some very weird, contradictory stats there. Most ADSL connections will top out at 24mbps downstream and max 2mbps upstream, most actually at 1.4mbps. So say you've had 24.99 down and just shy of 10 up is very strange.

Soldato
@david25

Weird. Your modulation type on router says VDSL2? But your line check says you can only get ADSL2? Which contradicts what type of line you have... Do you know what package you’re on?

Your SNR is also quite high. Have you rebooted the router a lot by any chance?

What type of BT master socket do you have? If it’s an old one could be worth fitting the latest 5C socket if you don’t have one.

Associate
Some very weird, contradictory stats there. Most ADSL connections will top out at 24mbps downstream and max 2mbps upstream, most actually at 1.4mbps. So say you've had 24.99 down and just shy of 10 up is very strange.

No, the purple screenshot above is from the BT speedtest page and the "Max Observed Downstream Speed 24.99" is from the Wholesale checker

Associate
@david25

Weird. Your modulation type on router says VDSL2? But your line check says you can only get ADSL2? Which contradicts what type of line you have... Do you know what package you’re on?

Your SNR is also quite high. Have you rebooted the router a lot by any chance?

What type of BT master socket do you have? If it’s an old one could be worth fitting the latest 5C socket if you don’t have one.

Its definitely FTTC and yes remember all the thunderstorms last week, we had multiple power cuts.

The socket is a mk4 socket.

Soldato
Your router uptime must be bugged as it says 0 uptime for it all? If could know that it’d help see if lines even stable.

But could need to wait for DLM to stabilise and bring your SNR down and sync rate up. But they can take a few weeks.

Or you may have a line fault. Which could be likely since a storm, and your max sync is a fair bit lower than the estimate.

Caporegime
If you had multiple power cuts then DLM has kicked in and limited your line to try and keep things stable, as it has no idea whether the fault was a loss of power or the sync dropping due to line quality.

Leave the router alone and the speed will come back up, if it's not done that in a couple of weeks then you need to raise it to your ISP for a DLM reset. If you don't have any noise on your voice line then there's nothing to take to whoever you pay line rental to.

Associate
If you had multiple power cuts then DLM has kicked in and limited your line to try and keep things stable, as it has no idea whether the fault was a loss of power or the sync dropping due to line quality.

Leave the router alone and the speed will come back up, if it's not done that in a couple of weeks then you need to raise it to your ISP for a DLM reset. If you don't have any noise on your voice line then there's nothing to take to whoever you pay line rental to.

Two weeks? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OK, I will wait and see, thanks

Associate
Your router uptime must be bugged as it says 0 uptime for it all? If could know that it’d help see if lines even stable.

But could need to wait for DLM to stabilise and bring your SNR down and sync rate up. But they can take a few weeks.

Or you may have a line fault. Which could be likely since a storm, and your max sync is a fair bit lower than the estimate.

That screenshot was taken straight away after a line drop during the storms, I wanted to record the stats, right now its been up for 24+ hours. Looking now, its reporting 9 error packets and max rate has dropped from 13,000 to 10,100

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're experiencing drops after a storm / heavy rain you can try constantly calling your landline number (even if you don't have a phone connected) for 10 minutes.
The pulsing DC to make the phone ring can dry the line out, it won't always fix it but can make it better.
Turn the router off/on after the 10 minutes.

Associate
If you're experiencing drops after a storm / heavy rain you can try constantly calling your landline number (even if you don't have a phone connected) for 10 minutes.
The pulsing DC to make the phone ring can dry the line out, it won't always fix it but can make it better.
Turn the router off/on after the 10 minutes.

Thanks didnt know that. I will leave everything stable for a week (see above) before any more changes

Associate
Had BT's FTTP 900mb service installed yesterday morning at 8am. Since then I've gotten nowhere near their advertised speeds, wired I'm getting 100Mbps download and wireless is exact same as I got on the previous non-FTTP service of 56Mbps. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day today with no luck, but on inspection of the optical cable at the entry of the property to the internal box I saw this (pic below)
Where he stapled the cable to the top of my skirting there is one staple right through the dead centre on part of the cable. Now would this be affecting my speeds or is it a case of the optical cable either works or it doesn't? I'm not too familiar with the new tech yet so thought I would ask on here before speaking to BT tomorrow. Cheers!

Soldato
Had BT's FTTP 900mb service installed yesterday morning at 8am. Since then I've gotten nowhere near their advertised speeds, wired I'm getting 100Mbps download and wireless is exact same as I got on the previous non-FTTP service of 56Mbps. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day today with no luck, but on inspection of the optical cable at the entry of the property to the internal box I saw this (pic below)
Where he stapled the cable to the top of my skirting there is one staple right through the dead centre on part of the cable. Now would this be affecting my speeds or is it a case of the optical cable either works or it doesn't? I'm not too familiar with the new tech yet so thought I would ask on here before speaking to BT tomorrow. Cheers!

It's likely just caught the outer casing, as it probably wouldn't work at all if it damaged the fibre. Either way I think you have a right to ask them to sort it out along with the lack of speed.

Caporegime

I'd certainly be wanting that looked at. Can you check the actual speed on the Router?

Associate
I'd certainly be wanting that looked at. Can you check the actual speed on the Router?
Doesn't seem to tell you anywhere in the router settings? I ran a diagnostic test through the router yesterday, which reported that my speed was within their "speed guarantee", but when I tried to re-run the speed test today it wouldn't let me and says that I have "already reported the problem". So a little confusing!

Back
Top Bottom