BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Yeah that was me. Your SNR looks a lot better at 6 dB, that’s the normal and should stay that way if the line is stable and has no faults. If you’re lucky it may even drop to 3 dB and increase your sync slightly.

But you must be very far away from your PCP cabinet to only achieve such a low speed on FTTC...

Not sure why you keep quoting ADSL2 speeds from the Openreach checker either... Thought you said you was definitely on FTTC? Where is the FTTC estimate range from the checker?

Edit: Also when you signed up for FTTC, do you have the email with your estimated speed and the guaranteed minimum speed quoted?

Thanks for the confirmation on SNR.

Yes, I am far away from the cabinet, maybe 1500m.

The checker results are above and my ISP indicated the following range when it was ordered two years ago Download Speed Range 4.9Mb - 15.3Mb

Associate
If any underlying fault hasn't been fixed, DLM will gradually reduce that again to try and minimise errors and get the line into a stable state.

I need the lottery numbers from you!

I just checked the router, three hours ago, it dropped from 12,000 to 10,000

And it midnight(!) my ISP has offered a physical engineer visit.

Soldato
If you're having frequent drop outs and are absolutely sure it's nothing in your own property then you can "skip" the generic level 1 support nonsense they get you to run through by telling them there is noise on the landline or calls are dropping.

Soldato
If you're having frequent drop outs and are absolutely sure it's nothing in your own property then you can "skip" the generic level 1 support nonsense they get you to run through by telling them there is noise on the landline or calls are dropping.

They sent me an engineer to check my line after I tried this, no fault but he was only there to look at call aspect. complete waste of time.

Caporegime
Sorry, I am getting my technical names mixed up, here are results checker. I am using a FTTC service

i-f92g4DQ-X3.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation on SNR.

Yes, I am far away from the cabinet, maybe 1500m.

The checker results are above and my ISP indicated the following range when it was ordered two years ago Download Speed Range 4.9Mb - 15.3Mb
What is very strange here is that your Estimated speed range for VDSL (FTTC) at the top of the checker are very good, 67-80 on a good line, unaffected by crosstalk and even on a poor line with a lot of Crosstalk you should get 60-80Mbps. Yet your provider estimated your speed as very low, with the estimate of 4.9-15.3Mbps. It's all very strange. I suspect you either have a fair bit of Aluminium on your line somewhere or you're not connected to the cabinet Openreach and BT think you are. On the checker it will tell you the cabinet you're supposed to be connected to at the top. I wouldn't be surprised to find out you're connected to a cabinet further away and there's one closer, likely within 2-300 yards.

Associate
What is very strange here is that your Estimated speed range for VDSL (FTTC) at the top of the checker are very good, 67-80 on a good line, unaffected by crosstalk and even on a poor line with a lot of Crosstalk you should get 60-80Mbps. Yet your provider estimated your speed as very low, with the estimate of 4.9-15.3Mbps. It's all very strange. I suspect you either have a fair bit of Aluminium on your line somewhere or you're not connected to the cabinet Openreach and BT think you are. On the checker it will tell you the cabinet you're supposed to be connected to at the top. I wouldn't be surprised to find out you're connected to a cabinet further away and there's one closer, likely within 2-300 yards.

I prefer to use the observed speeds, but even they state 24Mb

Soldato
I prefer to use the observed speeds, but even they state 24Mb

You seem to be missing the point, what you prefer to use is irrelevant. The observed speed is just what you got on a given day, if it’s not above the minimum impacted estimate, something is wrong somewhere as you should be getting a minimum of 60/27.

Man of Honour
I was going to mention that yesterday. Something odd is going on indeed. Also 24.99 Mbps looks like a banded speed, either applied by DLM or by your ISP.

Soldato
They sent me an engineer to check my line after I tried this, no fault but he was only there to look at call aspect. complete waste of time.

The initial physical fault checks are the same pretty much so you probably had someone that wanted to get gone in a hurry on that occasion.

One of them recently came along, said nothing was wrong with the line, put a new faceplate on the master socket and left 10 minutes later. Also gave me another microfilter because they degrade The line was dropping every 30mins-1hr at most and continued to do so.

Had another engineer attend 2 days later to test the line and instantly found an obvious issue with the level of volts + distance disparity.
Also found that 19 pairs out of 50 between one underground joint box were tattered but apparently they've no chance of getting a dig team in until all 50 are found to be useless.

Associate
You seem to be missing the point, what you prefer to use is irrelevant. The observed speed is just what you got on a given day, if it’s not above the minimum impacted estimate, something is wrong somewhere as you should be getting a minimum of 60/27.

I would love 60 but I think the distance is too great (1500metres)

Associate
Finally got my install complete for BT Fibre 900 with the new Nokia ONT. Was due on the 12th, but the first Engineer didn't push the cable far enough into the unit on the pole :rolleyes:, so there was a light issue on the ONT. BT have been great and sent out a wifi modem straight away, so glad I didn't upgrade with TalkTalk else it would have been a nightmare I'm sure.

Fast.com reports 930Mbps :D. Although had to ditch the BT Hub as the upload was restricted to 50Mbps, installed a Netgate sg-3100 and everything is good.

Caporegime
I would set some time aside to hook the Smart Hub 2 back up and leave it overnight, factory reset it and wait until the firmware upgrades itself to something starting 0.17, just so if you blow your Netgate box up in future you can swap something else in and have it work.

Back
Top Bottom