BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Only channels 1, 6 and 11 don't overlap with other channels, so people around you shouldn't be using any other channels. This is much less of an issue with Wi-Fi 6.

Soldato
FTTP became available to order at my parents house today so I've placed an order for them. What surprised me was the price. Their current package is VDSL @ upto 50Mbps, they're moving to Full Fibre 100 (so 150/30) and it's costing £0 up front and £0 extra a month.

I'll see about getting them moved over to digital voice once the FTTP installation is done, they're often having problems with the phone line.

Associate
Ok my Infinity/Halo has been dropping in speed, then i noticed the other week my upload speed had dropped to like 5 meg,
so i restarted my modem and it went back up to less than normal about 14 (normal is about 17meg) then the other day i noticed i was uploading a backup and it was very slow so after the backup i did a speed test and sure enough it had dropped again to 5meg,
so I phoned BT and it seems there is some borked kit at the exchange that should have been fixed over a week ago but they don't have the parts? really? what am I paying for?
As of now they do not have an eta and now my net keeps cutting out, upload is like 0.69 meg download 26 meg when and if it works, I just sent the CEO of BT a sharp email considering a whole community is suffering.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok my Infinity/Halo has been dropping in speed, then i noticed the other week my upload speed had dropped to like 5 meg,
so i restarted my modem and it went back up to less than normal about 14 (normal is about 17meg) then the other day i noticed i was uploading a backup and it was very slow so after the backup i did a speed test and sure enough it had dropped again to 5meg,
so I phoned BT and it seems there is some borked kit at the exchange that should have been fixed over a week ago but they don't have the parts? really? what am I paying for?
As of now they do not have an eta and now my net keeps cutting out, upload is like 0.69 meg download 26 meg when and if it works, I just sent the CEO of BT a sharp email considering a whole community is suffering.

You're paying for a residential service with - at best - a voluntary compensation scheme SLA on faults and a minimal speed guarantee, claim against the speed guarantee and understand that many industries are suffering supply chain issues because with everything that is going on. More importantly do you understand that it's likely nothing to do with BT? It's much more likely to be an OR issue from what you describe, your sharply worded email over a working connection in the current circumstances may be poorly judged.

Associate
I've got the 910/110 fibre from BT but the home hub wifi just can't handle the download speed so I'm looking at upgrading to a wifi 6 setup instead of punching holes through all of my walls.

Has anyone done this with BT before in regards to swapping out the router for something else and if so, how easy is it? Do I need to get hold or some sort of login details to enter in to the new kit or what?

Also, anyone have a good recommendation for a wifi 6 router and also pcie card?

I will be in exactly the same boat when i get this order completed. previously only had 50mb so the bog standard BT thing does the job, but now I want to be able to get a decent use from this.

Soldato
It’s very easy to replace a BT router, depending on the connection type you may need a modem (integrated to the router or otherwise), and to put login details in the correct format, you don’t need a specific username or password.

Associate
Literally every surrounding street has fttp on telephone masts but my street doesn't. Wondering whether someone made a mistake and missed this street.

In the exact same position here. Contacted Openreach through twitter and they escalated, all they did was enable my address so it shows on all the checkers as being able to order it, but no one else in the street can!

Can only assume if I did order that they'd come across a major issue in there being no CBT installed on the pole yet....

Soldato
In the exact same position here. Contacted Openreach through twitter and they escalated, all they did was enable my address so it shows on all the checkers as being able to order it, but no one else in the street can!

Can only assume if I did order that they'd come across a major issue in there being no CBT installed on the pole yet....

Just order, they'll work it out sooner rather than later.

Caporegime
If "your street doesn't" means that your street doesn't have telephone poles and the cables are direct buried then you will probably be waiting a while

Man of Honour
A woman who lives on the same road as me is adamant she’s got FTTP and gets around 450 Mbps. I’ve checked every house on the checker and all show the same - that no native FTTP is available.

Associate
just an update on BT FTTP that I ordered 3rd august and was set to activate on the 2nd September, I have had multiple phone calls to BT and from BT over the last few weeks and it's basically been the same result each time - no word from open reach and unable to contact them to find out when they can come out and complete the survey to see what work needs done so also unable to give me a time frame for anything, however last friday I was moved from the bt mini hub, to a copper line, this past weekend - fri-sat-sund I was hitting 5meg and from yesterday, monday 22nd it improved to 12meg, I'm personally getting pretty fed up with the whole situation, I have had nearly double-digit calls with BT and no progress ever seems to be happening

Soldato
What are BT like as an ISP these days? I am moving shortly and will be ditching my Virgin Media connection due to the local congestion issue, and have a few options at the new place.

FTTC is around 65-80 Mbps however there is a GFAST Pod on the side of the cab so I am able to get GFAST, this shows an estimated 180Mbps to 220Mbps, with a guarantee of 149Mbps.

The problem is, it looks like only BT, Zen, and Sky offer these packages. I can't use Sky as my Unifi kit doesnt yet support DHCP Option 61 (I have a USG-3P and dont want to JSON load it every reboot) and I dont fancy paying Zen's £65 a month, so the last offering If i want GFAST is to go with BT, which is £39.99 a month. I have an modded HG612 modem and an ECI modem in the loft from my last place, so I would ensivage to use this with my Unifi USG and enable PPPoE.

I know their customer service is about as bad as TalkTalk's, but towards the technical side and their remit (not Openreach's) are they all ok? No latency issues or lag spikes, got a house of gamers so a decent latency to UK/EU servers with reliability is a must. I've only ever used PlusNet in the past for my ADSL/VDSL needs but that won't be an option here for GFAST

Cheers in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
There fine, that's about as much as anyone can say. No worse or better than anyone else, they ultimately just resell the same Openreach product as everyone else.

Associate
I've just changed from Sky to BT FTTP 150mb, and honestly it's been absolutely perfect! Look on cash back sites, I got my package for £29.99pm with £140 cash back.

I used and old offer link, and just pasted into the new link on the cashback site and it actually worked!!

Back
Top Bottom