BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
You may find that some providers may not be available in your area right away.

I have just had FTTP enabled for my area (got the email from OR on Xmas day!) and I can order it on the BT site but the TT site says it isn't available in my area yet. I'm locked into TT FTTC for another year so I can't jump ship just yet and I'd rather not as TT is cheaper.

I might try and call them in the week to see what they say.

I was in the same position with a TalkTalk contract, but BT paid the termination fee, well they credited my account with the fee.

http://home.bt.com/-nbsp/switching-to-bt-broadband-has-never-been-easier-11363926763644

Caporegime
Good luck anyone with an install booked any time soon.
For new orders, from 06 January 2021, the appointment books will be pushed out to 1 March 2021 and beyond.

We will provide an escalation process to CPs in cases where the end customer has no existing broadband service or is receiving a service of less than 30Mbps.

For inflight orders, we will reschedule to March and beyond those orders where the customer has an existing broadband service, with Openreach, of 30Mbps or over

Associate
I had an engineer booked in for my FTTP install for the 15th January which was booked back on December 18th

I assume this won't happen now but Zen has not contacted me yet to tell me otherwise :(

Associate
ive just jumped to vodafone broadband from talk talk, in first 10 days so DLM adjusting but vodafone have no LLU hardware in the local excahnge and its def not as quick reliable as talk talk who do, should i be worried!? from £24 to £19 per month for savings.

Soldato
I had an engineer booked in for my FTTP install for the 15th January which was booked back on December 18th

I assume this won't happen now but Zen has not contacted me yet to tell me otherwise :(

I wouldn't assume that. If they don't need to come into the house they will still do all the preparatory work outside. The Openreach people I interacted with in the first lockdown were pretty good at determining what was required to keep everyone safe and as long as you left doors/windows open and stayed well away from them, they ere happy to come into the house as well so it may not be as bad as it seems.

Soldato
ive just jumped to vodafone broadband from talk talk, in first 10 days so DLM adjusting but vodafone have no LLU hardware in the local excahnge and its def not as quick reliable as talk talk who do, should i be worried!? from £24 to £19 per month for savings.

There is usually a cooling off period so you may be able to go back if you're not happy.

What sort of speed/reliability(?) issues are you experiencing? FTTC is usually pretty vanilla these days.

Caporegime

£19/month is slightly below the cost price of buying the connections from Openreach, so I'm not surprised the service isn't great.

Man of Honour
Yup, I've heard a lot about Vodafone and congestion on FTTC. Their Gigaclear product doesn't seem to be affected though but that's something entirely different.

Soldato
50 up? That's not right, it should be around 100Mbps up.

I guess you're using the BT SmartHub 2 router? There's issues with some of them which result in a wrong profile getting loaded which in turn limits the upstream to 50Mbps. Have a look on the BT customer forums, there's a thread on there where people having that particular problem are getting it looked at nice and quickly.

Associate
Vodafone’s back end is probably the worst out of all U.K. FTTC ISPs at the moment. Mostly just to congestion.

Lots of complaints about it online.

So by Samkmows my local exchange has no LLU hardware:

Telecom:
Not available
Entanet:
Not available
Fluency:
Not available
KC (Kingston):
Not available
Timico Partners:
Not available
Node4:
Not available
Orbital:
Not available
Origin Broadband:
Not available
Redcentric:
Not available
Rutland Telecom:
Not available
Sky:
Enabled
Spectrum:
Not available
TalkTalk (CPW):
Enabled
Vodafone:
Not available
WB Internet:
Not available
Zen Internet:
Not available

It just seems less reactive. For example watching tv in a 720p tv this morning I noticed the quality was grainy ok for about a minute. Never had that with talk talk. Always HD. using my own vdsl router with same mesh setup.

ping is at 12ms but where as talk talk was 7 but assume my profile on my line is reset when you switch to a different provider. SNR ratio has jumped back up to default 6db so lost about 12mb on the down and 3mb on the up.

On stats everything looks be try similar but everything seems less snappy. Another think was downloading off usenet and my phone wouldn’t load at all even though I was obv saturating the connection. With talk talk I would download at 6.2mb but phone would still be snappy at loading basic stuff.

have def noticed a different in the quality of the line and I’m worried about the whole LLU think which I’m assume I would be on a BT wholesale contended pipe from the exchange.

Caporegime
Ignore the Samknows exchange listing, their data is massively out of date and LLU isn't relevant for anything other than ADSL

Associate
It’s definitely a noticeable different from my talk talk connection for the last 18 months. That thing has been bomb proof. There asking for £24 a month. Obv no TopCashback or Quidco so wondering if I should sim to see if they will drop to £20. Anyone got any price info I can negotiate with.

Back
Top Bottom