BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Man of Honour
The new build estate I live on is split into roughly 3 areas, far left hand side can get FTTP (added when new), the middle (where I am) is stuck on FTTC and Openreach have 'no plans for FTTP' and the right hand side has recently had FTTP installed. It seems that there's going to be no option in the foreseeable between FTTC and Virgin Media. I'm just hoping that VM is going to be decent and not an over congested mess, although I could really do with more upload. However the download speed will be most welcome after being on ~55 Mbps or so for 6 years.

Associate
If I remember rightly, unlocking the HG612 mainly just gives you the extra stats ability. As far as the setup goes, HG612 in to the master socket, cat5 to the UDM Pro, then in the WAN connection in UniFi, set the connection type to PPPoE, put "[email protected]" as the username, password can be blank or random, save settings and walla.

Yup, will put their hub back on, can't imagine it would make much difference, the line has been rock solid since Nov, just past two weeks

Super easy. Changed those settings and plugged the modem into my wan connection and it all worked straight away.

I ended up unlocking the modem whilst waiting for the openreach connection. That was super simple to do too.

Thanks

Soldato
Yes any router should work if it can create a PPPoE session.

But as the poster above said, more information required!

I reset the router (as I was using as an access point via the BT hub) to factory settings, swapped ethernet cable coming out of ONT from BT hub to TP link hub, logged in, set up a PPPoE connection with the standard BT username/pw. The router thought it had an internet connection but it didn't, I couldn't ping anything from the diagnostics page either, thought that might be down to DNS so tried OpenDNS and Google DNS, still no joy.

Soldato
I reset the router (as I was using as an access point via the BT hub) to factory settings, swapped ethernet cable coming out of ONT from BT hub to TP link hub, logged in, set up a PPPoE connection with the standard BT username/pw. The router thought it had an internet connection but it didn't, I couldn't ping anything from the diagnostics page either, thought that might be down to DNS so tried OpenDNS and Google DNS, still no joy.

That should work. Can you post a screenshot of the settings?

I guess you couldn't ping 8.8.8.8 for example?

What WAN IP address did the router report as having?

Associate
Is there any way to have 2 separate SSID? I've got Alexa lights and they dont like 5ghz, and I can't see any options to have two separate channels. I was using the Asus Rt-ac68u router, however our digital phone didn't work with it, so had to go back to the BT home hub.

Soldato
Is there any way to have 2 separate SSID? I've got Alexa lights and they dont like 5ghz, and I can't see any options to have two separate channels. I was using the Asus Rt-ac68u router, however our digital phone didn't work with it, so had to go back to the BT home hub.

No. The newer BT Hubs don't let you split them networks into separate 2.4 & 5GHz networks.

Associate
1 month to go until my new FTTP is setup, By luck I looked on the BT site a month ago and found out they now offer FTTP in my area can not wait to get some decent speeds.

Already had the guy out that has pulled the cable casing through so all ready for March 24th, gone for Full Fibre 900.

currently been stuck on this for awhile now.

10998008678.png

Associate
1 month to go until my new FTTP is setup, By luck I looked on the BT site a month ago and found out they now offer FTTP in my area can not wait to get some decent speeds.

Already had the guy out that has pulled the cable casing through so all ready for March 24th, gone for Full Fibre 900.

currently been stuck on this for awhile now.

10998008678.png

Nice one, do you live in Stone, Staffs?

Associate
A lot of rural people would assault you for complaining about 50/10 :p

We have been stuck with this for well over ten years and we are not even very rural.

BgJgIrD.jpg

But fortunately after years of work and using the Fibre Voucher scheme to setup a Fibre community scheme down our road we now have access to FTTP which goes live next Friday.

So have gone full hog and ordered BT Fibre 900 (probably overkill!). Cant wait!

The increase in upload speed will be especially handy, I currently use my mobile 4G connection to upload anything sizable. So will be good to scrap that

Last edited:
Soldato
We have been stuck with this for well over ten years and we are not even very rural.

BgJgIrD.jpg

But fortunately after years of work and using the Fibre Voucher scheme to setup a Fibre community scheme down our road we now have access to FTTP which goes live next Friday.

So have gone full hog and ordered BT Fibre 900 (probably overkill!). Cant wait!

The increase in upload speed will be especially handy, I currently use my mobile 4G connection to upload anything sizable. So will be good to scrap that

Nice to hear some good news, enjoy it when its live :)

Soldato
Has anyone ran ethernet cables through your walls to sockets? Without actually doing any cutting and chasing ? Does that make sense?

Like just down the cavity,
I ran the majority of mine down where the old back boiler heating pipes went then under the crawl space. They then come up through the floor into the cupboard under the stairs.

Though in each room I did have to chase a socket in but only minor work on each room.

Back
Top Bottom