1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, 8 Feb 2011.

1. WJA96

Capodecina

I only ran the USG Pro for a short time but it had no issues passing the full line speed until you switched on the IPS at which point it would vary from about 450Mbps to 750Mbps depending on the traffic going through it. That was a modified 8Gb RAM USG Pro. The standard 2Gb units only pass 350-400Mbps with IPS turned on. I'm currently running Untangle on a QNAP QGD-1602P Guardian. It also runs my Unifi controller, my NAS backup (to an 8-bay slave drive array), my surveillance system, and it's also my personal Windows machine (as a VM). On paper it was bloomin' expensive. In truth, it replaces so many other systems that it will save it's own cost in electricity over it's expected 3-year lifespan.

2. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Cheers, I don't use IDS, so it looks like it'll work fine for my use case.

3. HungryHippos

Sgarrista

Had my price rise email from BT, 900BM fiber going from £52.99 to £55.37 with a 4.5% price rise.

Hate these mid-contract price rises, wish they'd just keep me on the same price for the duration of their already ridiculously long contracts!

4. iMacMart

Capodecina

I keep checking the BT Openreach site but nothing has been added since the start of last year, trying to see when they are rolling out my way, closest I can see is Bedford which is 30 mins from my town Letchworth :(

5. the-evaluator

Mobster

Letchworth has fairly good coverage of Virgin Media so I can't imagine that it'd be high on the list for Openreach to install FTTP.

6. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

My town was never on the list, but I now have FTTP available. Not in a rush to get it as I cant get an install though due to lockdown but it’s there for when I can.

7. nick695

Associate

Hopefully a quick question to those on 900mb/s FTTP, is the technical max speed actually 1gb/s but marketed as 900mb/s just for Ofcom reasons? Or is it capped at 1gb/s?

Is FTTP possible to go faster in the future above 1gb/s? I know that day is a long way off but what happens after 1gb/s becomes the norm and people want faster? Would they need to relay new cabling down for faster speeds or are these cables theoretically capable of going above 1gb/s?

Also is there a reason why the speeds are not symmetrical? Is it down to Openreach's network as I would have thought the cables themselves can go 1gb/s either way?

8. the-evaluator

Mobster

The physical link speed is 1Gbps but with PPPoE overheads, TDM and all the rest of the it they rate it at 900Mbps. The highest download speed I've seen on my connection is about 930Mbps.

The technology that Openreach FTTP is delivered on is called GPON - Gigabit Passive Optical Network. There is also XG-PON - 10 (X) Gigabit Passive Optical Network. So to get > 1Gbps they need to roll out XGPON. That's not as involved as the initial GPON rollout as the cabling can be reused. The GPON splitters (mine is under the pavement right at the end of my driveway) would need to be replaced as would the ONT.

There's a diagram here which explains the setup quite well.

9. ChrisD.

Caporegime

The BT ONT sync's at 2.4 Gbps down / 1.2 Gbps up, however that is shared between up to 32 other houses on the splitter.

10. nick695

Associate

Thanks for this, very informative

11. apachegoose

Associate

The splitters shouldn't need replacing, all that needs replacing is the ONT and the OLT, but the XGS-PON (which is what Openreach is going with, not XG-PON) OLTs can run parallel on the same PON as the GPON OLT as they use different frequencies. Problem is the ONT's aren't plug and play so going to need an engineer visit to do, guess it keeps the engineers employed :) Openreach has already got some XGS-PON services available in the test areas, but they are aimed at business side as XGS-PON is symmetric so can fix the low upload issue that makes GPON not great for a lot of business cases.

12. MissChief

Capodecina

I suspect many businesses will find they won’t ever get symmetrical as this would highly impact Openreach’s much more lucrative leased line Ethernet services.

13. Caged

Capodecina

I wouldn't be so sure, I think the arrival of competitors will force a business-grade symmetric FTTC service onto the Openreach portfolio. Leased lines have several advantages over 'broadband' services and they will be differentiated based on the SLAs, contention, options for layer 2 services, 10Gb bearers, percentile-based billing, diverse routing options etc. I would expect to see the effects of contention on GPON deployments over the next few years as everybody is pushed towards taking 900+Mbps services.

Ok so sales teams will have to update their knowledge and stop selling based purely on speeds, but I'm sure they will cope.

14. robj20

Capodecina

Why are ONTs not plug and play?

15. apachegoose

Associate

They have to be registered with the OLT for the ONT to work. Also Openreach see it as part of their network same as the old copper lines / master socket so won't allow anyone else to work on it.

16. AtaRo

Wise Guy

Anyone have any idea the username and pass for the bt fttc?

Tried the below with no success

[email protected]

[email protected] and password BT.

Engineer came to install today but the homehub 2 is faulty and just trying my rt ac68u if it will work.

thanks

17. ChrisD.

Caporegime

18. Caged

Capodecina

19. the-evaluator

Mobster

Check that you're adding in the VLAN 101 tag.

What modem are you using?

20. AtaRo

Wise Guy

is there any additional settings needed for it to work.

I've already tried the below as username with bt as password but no dice.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Do I need a modem? the router is connected directly to the single port ONT.

The bt supplied router that is faulty according to the engineer is the smarthub 2, the light

does not turn blue and stays at amber color.

Currently usb tethering to my phone and sharing it at home using bluetooth connected to BT-wifi.