BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
ONT, so you have FTTP? In which case the ONT is the modem.

If you just mean phone jack on the wall then it's FTTC and you will need a modem.

Soldato
It's also possible that it's an ISP issue. If the LED on the BT is staying orange and you can't get the connection up and running with your Asus then I'd be passing it back to the ISP.

Is the LED solid orange or flashing?

Soldato
My grandparents have just moved into a new build and need to get internet setup.

BT just installed the ONT this week and its now showing as FTTP available on the wholesale checker (just FTTP no copper/FTTC).

They just need the most basic of connections 35mb would be more than fine.

I've checked all the major ISP's and the only ones that want to offer a service are BT and Sky.
BT will offer 35, 50, 74, 150, 300, 900.
Sky will offer 75 and 150.

Can they still get these cheaper speeds/services on FTTP? It was my understanding 150 was the minimum on FTTP.

Soldato
I ended up going with BT, as I had a quick phone call with them about installation dates, and needing internet the day I move in due to WFH, so they offered me £49 for the 900 Fibre and hybrid connect to tie me over until I can get it installed.

At the time of the call, they suggested it might be May before I can get it installed, but thankfully I have an installation date 3 days after I move in :)

Very much looking forward to it!

Biggest downside of the new place is the cost of insurance :( Saved a good chunk of money for a new car but insurance costs for that particular car are about 2x compared to what I was looking at where I am now - difference of about 1K :eek:

Associate
Definitely FTTP then.

If you open a web browser and try to visit a website, does anything happen? The BT website suggests that is worth trying.

Have factory reset the router already several times.

Also the page keeps showing you must log in to this network before you can access the internet but when click it just goes to the troubleshooter page.

When you open a browser it goes to the page below

wM6R74f.png

and then to this page, the firmware update says undefine?

NEuk665.png

MXDUVn2.png

uU1O7dY.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
What happens if you plug your PC into the ONT and dial a PPPoE connection? I don't think you have an issue with your Smart Hub 2, I think the service hasn't been provisioned properly.

Soldato
Do you have a pic of the back of the smarthub? Also have you made sure the ethernet cable is in the ONT correctly? It might be the photo, but the red ethernet cable doesn't really look like it is sat flush in the ONT, it looks at an angle.

Associate
Do you have a pic of the back of the smarthub? Also have you made sure the ethernet cable is in the ONT correctly? It might be the photo, but the red ethernet cable doesn't really look like it is sat flush in the ONT, it looks at an angle.

Back of the Hub

KChURXl.jpg

The red cable is plug snugly it is just the pic is at a bad angle, also the LAN led (far right) will turn off if it is not plug securely.

a98DA7r.jpg

Associate
If you use the PPPoE username bt_test_user@startup_domain and a blank password, does that connect?

Just tried it, still no luck.

same error 651

First time bt customer and failed install already.

The last bad experience I had is with Bulldog broadband more than a decade ago.

If the PC can't connect to BT network directly when connected to the ONT does this mean that

the hub might not be faulty and the problem is with BT somewhere.

hOgUpdQ.png

Last edited:
Associate
Have you been told the service has gone live?

BT has send me this message, does BT send another message when the service goes live, also the engineer

said that the hub is faulty and he went out and later called me that he tested my line and it is working fine,

guess will know when the new hub arrives.

9q8wCBt.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom