BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
If your installation was today it can take up to midnight to go live, so come back in the morning

If that is the case then that is good news and what is the engineer thinking saying the hub is faulty and I need to call bt to get a new one.

Caporegime
You're going to have to take this up with BT support then. If their phone people aren't helping then post on their forums.

Associate
Called BT support and they sending an engineer to look at it.

Explained to the cs that I don't have backup internet and maybe BT can provide me a 4G service

until the problem is fix but BT want to charge me over for it.

I will have to make do with my payg data to tide me over and hope this is fixed asap and this not turn into

a nightmare.

Associate
Did you try switching out the ethernet cable?? There should be a yellow cable in the smart hub 2 box. In case the cable is faulty. Also the lights are all correct on the ONT as it looks like mine does.

Associate
Fixed this afternoon, some problem at central exchange, guy tested the ont and fiber cable and no problem the guy actually spend most of his time on the phone calling people to check stuff at the exchanges.

This is my Asus RT-AC68U (running Merlin).
The smart hub 2 can do 900+ DL but upload is stuck at 50, will not be using it as the wifi options are limited.

qG0l9LB.png

Soldato
Great that it's fixed!

The upload being capped at 50Mbps on the SmartHub is a profile problem which is easy enough to resolve. Missing out on about 200Mbps downstream by using the Asus probably isn't ideal but that download speed is still rather nice.

Soldato
So openreach are coming on Thursday, for the third time to install 900 speed for me...
Just had a text saying they will likely only do the external bit, and leave the internal bit for another day.
Marvellous.
First appointment was December, second in January.
It isn't stellar service that's for sure.

Soldato
As I was out of contract I spoke to BT after the recent price hike, re-fixed my 900mbps service for £49.99/month, I'll have to eat the next price increase (in 12 months), but I guess by the one after it I'll be in a position to flip contract again.

Associate
What's the deal with FTTP installations at the moment, is there any consistency to install lead times?

I'm close to completing on a house that says FTTP available with "1 Stage Install" - once it's all confirmed, we'll be moving in under a month so just trying to gauge the likelihood of getting it installed in time.

Associate
What's the deal with FTTP installations at the moment, is there any consistency to install lead times?

I'm close to completing on a house that says FTTP available with "1 Stage Install" - once it's all confirmed, we'll be moving in under a month so just trying to gauge the likelihood of getting it installed in time.

I ordered mine 14th Jan, Install Date is 24th March.

according to the FAQ this long install date is due to covid and not wanting to let the engineers in homes until a later date, but they had someone come out.

Associate
I went ahead and cancelled BT (FTTC) today after 5 years of speed reductions. Sync speed in 2016 was 77Mbps. Sync speed in 2021 is 42Mbps and BT charge me £45 for this. I have no intention of renewing but I take it if I went with Sky, Zen or any other provider I would have the same issues? A dlm line reset would boost the speeds for a short while to about 55Mbps based on my current line data rate but the line errors would continue and dlm would act and slowly reduce my speeds again unless an engineer actually went out of their way and fixed wjatever problem is occuring on my line. What frustrates me about BT is the postcode checker still displays 60-80Mbps but a telephone checker on my line estimates the best I could achieve is 67Mbps. Yet my max data rate on the HUB only displays 57Mbps these days.

Not even sure what to do now. BT is bad, Virgin Media had lots of utilisation issues in the area years ago and there are no Gigabit options. So it looks like I'm out of options when it comes to speed and consistency and I may just have to accept the best deal.

Does anybody know what Virgin Media is like today? I dread the thought of trying them out a second time around. The inconsistency in speed / performance during peak times was an ever present issue for years.

Associate
Does anybody know what Virgin Media is like today? I dread the thought of trying them out a second time around. The inconsistency in speed / performance during peak times was an ever present issue for years.

Hit and miss depending on area.

The connection will never be as stable as a good FTTC connection, but you'll probably get better speeds most of the time.

If you favour download speeds, VM may be worth a shout but if you're an online gamer then I'd be tempted to stick with FTTC.

Soldato
Not sure why you pay so much for that connection. You can get 80/20 FTTC for under £30, I’m paying under £20 for the same service.

That said you’ll get the same issues with speed on other providers and it’s outside the ISPs control.

Thats brave (or stupid) outright cancelling it without another solution in place, especially in this day and age. If your cabinet is full you could lose your spot and have no option of FTTC at all.

Associate
Not sure why you pay so much for that connection. You can get 80/20 FTTC for under £30, I’m paying under £20 for the same service.

That said you’ll get the same issues with speed on other providers and it’s outside the ISPs control.

Thats brave (or stupid) outright cancelling it without another solution in place, especially in this day and age. If your cabinet is full you could lose your spot and have no option of FTTC at all.

Especially given that loss of speed usually indicates a lot of other users of FTTC on his cabinet, so its almost certainly full.

Associate

Well, I had to give a months notice. If all the ISP's over FTTC suffer from the same issue, it's best I cancel. If I'm still connected and found a cheap deal, let's say with Sky for example, wouldn't I just migrate within that months cancellation?

Back
Top Bottom