1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by drphibes, 15 May 2010.

1. drphibes

Gangster

My friend is thinking of moving to the BT Infinity fibre service. His main request is low pings for online gaming. BT have told him he should get 20meg download at his home but the question is will the pings be low ? He is currently on o2 llu service but only recieves 1.5-2 meg with a ping of around 25ms.

2. bloodline76

Sgarrista

Should be better I would have thought

3. esK`

Wise Guy

Pings ( latency ) wont really change with bandwidth.

4. Zarf

Mobster

I'd say his Pings will go down, around 5-10ms to decent servers.
    I have a mate on DSL right next to an exchange and he gets 5ms pings to London game servers.

5. drphibes

Gangster

Any idea who BT are for pings on their standard ADSL service ?

6. Lonz

Wise Guy

They used to interleave my line to ****. The pings were around 60-70 in games.

7. Crilly

Gangster

Worth mentioning that o2 llu is interleaved. Usually to a low depth but it's always on. I'd imagine fibre would knock a big chunk off.

8. HangTime

Man of Honour

If implemented properly (a big if!) latency should be lower with fibre. With DSL very few people can get below ~10ms (some in London on the likes of Be can), I'm hoping BT infinity with give sub-5ms (obviously higher depending on location).

No cable or ADSL2+ here so desperately hoping it gets rolled out here, they would cleanup for sure as it's affluent area populated by young adults.

9. drphibes

Gangster

Just to update this thread.
    My mate got BT Infinity installed today and first impressions seem good. Download speeds have ranged from 17 to 30 meg and pings are 10ms. This is a nice increase on his previous isp which was o2 llu, he only got 1.5 meg and 40ms pings on that service.

10. bloodline76

Sgarrista

FAIL :p

11. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

?? He's right...

ping is the time taken from one point to another and back again through the various bits and pieces the data has to go through.

as long as the bandwidth isn't saturated... a 56k modem *could* get the same ping as a 1gbit fibre leased line *if* the data had to take the exact same route...

12. esK`

Wise Guy

You fail! :p

13. Phemo

Soldato

It's true. Bandwidth alone won't make much difference - you'd see the same ping times on a 2mbit cable connection as you would on a 20mbit cable connection for example. There are many other factors that can affect it however, such as interleaved ADSL and routing, as mentioned already.

Of course, not that ping is a reliable performance measurement tool anyway..

14. bloodline76

Sgarrista

Well it got better so...

FAIL :p

15. esK`

Wise Guy

All that matters, Short answer or not, I was right!

Haha
    /smug mode