1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT killing my bandwidth!

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Wryel, 10 May 2006.

1. Wryel

Wise Guy

Even if the download is slow it makes browsing nearly impossible! I've tried limiting the upload speed (its at 25Kb/sec atm) but it doesn't make any difference - any ideas?

Its a 1 Meg connection and I'm using BitLord.

Thanks.

2. marc2003

Capodecina

try limiting the upload to 15? 25 is too high when you only have 30 or so to play with. assuming you're on a residential broadband package? :)

3. Wryel

Wise Guy

Oops! Was thinking upload and download speeds would be the same, for some stupid reason - not on ntl me thinks.

4. daven1986

Mobster

i left BT when my 2mb speed went down to 90kbs which equates to a 9kb download rate!!

daven

5. marc2003

Capodecina

hehe. we talking bit torrent not british telecom.... ;)

6. earlyflash

Gangster

You'll need to turn off BT when you game online, even 5kB/s gives me vicious lag spikes.

I can now SSH and browse at 25KB/s with traffic shaping though - you might want to investigate if that is an option for you.

7. Craig321

Capodecina

25kb/s is tons for uploading, limit to to 1kb/s and see if it works.

Other than that maybe you've run out of bandwidth, with BT when you run out of bandwidth they slow your connection down until bandwidth gets refreshed.

8. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

Ive found my Bittorrent upload speed sweetspot to be about 17kbps on a 1mb line. That gives me the max download speed, but does however slow browsing down a bit occasionally.