BT Smart Hub WiFi channel issue

Soldato
Hi all

I've just got ultrafast fibre installed to my property and have the BT 'Smart' Hub. I've noticed a couple of my devices are connecting to the hub via 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz.

Doing a bit of reading up it could be down to 5ghz being broadcasted on channel 36 which looking at a WiFi analyser app is very busy. The hub is supposed to pick the best channel but obviously isn't doing a great job!

I can manually pick the channel but the hub will split the 2.4 and 5ghz in to separate SSID's if I do this.

It's splitting the SSID the best route? Would I gain any other benefits of doing this?

Alternatively, should I just use dedicated AP for WiFi and disable the BT Hub WiFi? My in laws have a spare Nighthawk R7000 I could use - would this be better anyway?

Open to any other suggestions!

Thanks

Soldato
5GHz is much more easily blocked than 2.4GHz. The devices may be using 2.4GHz because the signal is stronger.

Because 5GHz is easily blocked it doesn't usually suffer the same channel congestion as 2.4GHz unless you're in flats or similar.

Not sure why specifying a channel would force a separate SSID. It could be a quirk of the router, but it seems pointless.

There's no harm in having separate SSIDs and many people prefer that option.

With the R7000 you can only try it. If you're plugging it into the BT hub make sure it's configured as an access point, not as a router.

Caporegime
You want to split SSID anyway, that way you KNOW you are connecting to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band rather than letting the adaptor choosing for you.

Soldato
There you go, some people prefer separate SSIDs.

Personally, I don't. My 5GHz coverage is pretty good (and configured to prefer 5GHz), and I've never had issues with devices picking the wrong band. When I look at my connections the only devices on 2.4GHz are those that are 2.4GHz only.

Back
Top Bottom