Budget 40-50K?

Soldato
He has got one he said on the show when he tested one, he said they look really girly but unfortunately the AMG one is so good I bought one.
not a quote but it was along those lines. it has been metioned on the show a few times.
I'd have a cayman for that money but unfortunately no drop top so....
Its not a reason to get one, but hes has driven a few cars in his time and he's not a bad driver, there is worse people to listen to!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
marcus25 said:
didn't the AMG CLS do a much better lap time something like a 5 second difference? cost 42k for the non-supercharged model, but is not a drop top.

The CLS looks like this:
mercedes_cls_2004_01_s.jpg

i.e. a lard abomination that's melted in the sun. We have one at my apartment block. Even more disgusting in the metal than it is in pictures.

Soldato
boxter not a pretty as the cayman, or as fast. Its not our chice and there is no bad cars in this category! personally I'd have a cayman or a TVR if I have the money, depending wether i was feeling in a bonkers mood or not.

Caporegime
Oakesy2001uk said:
AMG SLK I like that! Jeremy clarkson has one which should be reason enough! :D if not DB7 Volante beautiful!

wrong

he had an SL55 AMG, not the SLK

and he doesnt even have that anymore. He infamously traded it for the Ford GT.

Soldato
Got to agree with the rest. For a daily driver then you can't really look beyond the Germans IMO. My money would go on a 645 drop top but the Porsche and Mercedes alternatives in that price range would also be good.

I guess it also depends on what you mean by sporty. I could be wrong but I don't think the SL comes with a manual gearbox as an option for instance, which many would argue diminishes its soprty credentials somewhat.

Soldato
MrLOL said:
wrong

he had an SL55 AMG, not the SLK

and he doesnt even have that anymore. He infamously traded it for the Ford GT.

He had an SL55AMG, I think he recently bought the new SLK55AMG too.

Soldato
Audi RS4!

Yeah, yeah, its not a drop top, but DAMN it goes! And if you're married, the wife will appreciate how "sensible" it is, and you will know the truth that lies beneath the loud pedal :)

Mic

Mic

Soldato
James_N said:
Aero 8 to be different :D
Gets my vote!
Oakesy2001uk said:
AMG SLK I like that! Jeremy clarkson has one which should be reason enough! :D if not DB7 Volante beautiful!
Thats no reason to buy one. Hell going by top gear its a bad reason to buy one. "Jeremy buys you sell, jeremy sells you buy!"

Soldato
Evo have been running an S reg 550M as a daily drive doing 20k a year. Whilst its cost about £6k in maintenance a Ferrari as a daily drive is feasible. There is a bloke who lives near me who uses a 355 every day, not sure how many miles he does but it goes out every weekday morning and returns at night.

Suspended
blueboy2001 said:
Evo have been running an S reg 550M as a daily drive doing 20k a year. Whilst its cost about £6k in maintenance a Ferrari as a daily drive is feasible. There is a bloke who lives near me who uses a 355 every day, not sure how many miles he does but it goes out every weekday morning and returns at night.
People do use them daily but it does cost. You'll lose the exotic feel if you drive it every day though.

The 550 is a fantastic car though, supremely comfortable.

Soldato
NickXX said:
He had an SL55AMG, I think he recently bought the new SLK55AMG too.

thank you I knew he wasnt going crazy, he has a silver one! and he loves it!
And I'm sorry for the people who dont like hime, but he's honest and very critical of cars. even great ones that he loves. Im not saying buy one coz he likes it, but I think his opinion is a good place to start. He has driven so many cars in such an array of contitions ie road/track/town/country/abroad/wet/dry in all of those.
anyway enough of that, just glad im not crazy!
by all means ferrari if you can run one, but i'm guessing thats not a fesable daily driver. few year old porsche cab or the slk AMG IMO
or an arial atom and a 320d ! lol

Soldato
Nozzer said:
People do use them daily but it does cost. You'll lose the exotic feel if you drive it every day though.

The 550 is a fantastic car though, supremely comfortable.

They absolutely must be warrantied though and few places will offer the kind of warranty you need and it will cost serious money for that warranty too. A new engine is £35k+ in them.

Back
Top Bottom