Budget build PC with some recycled elements

Associate
Im going to build a new PC as my motherboard has compatibility issues with the latest version of Windows 10. I will use probably 2/3 new components with the rest recycled from my current box.
What I plan to retain are the following:

A 500GB SSD drive for the OS (can’t seem to locate the model details right now)
EVGA - GeForce GTX 950 SC Graphics Card
Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU
Antec Six Hundred Case (Original Version)
BD-R

What I need to buy:

Motherboard
CPU
8GB RAM (probably add another 8GB later when the price of RAM falls)
3 x 4TB SATA HDD to run in a RAID 5 configuration (obviously mobo must support this)

My basic needs are a lot of storage, reliability, and ability to occasionally play games. I have 8TB of data accumulated over decades and an external disk based backiup system which I will use with the new build. I am not really a gamer, but have accumulated quite a few games over the years that I play occasionally. Despite the age of my system (I built it in 2010 originally, although the graphics card is only a couple of years old), I can play Battlefront, Elite: Dangerous and the latest Mortal Kombat on high settings with no problems. Don’t really want to replace my GPU at this stage because at two years old it is quite new tech for me (I’m sure some will be choking on their Red Bull when reading this, but as I said I am not really a gamer) and I don’t really feel I have used it enough. Maybe when some time passes I could buy another GTX 950 and upgrade by using them both in a Crossfire setup – talking out of near complete ignorance here.
I often see good deals on HotUKDeals.com for mobos, CPU, and RAM but I have not taken the plunge as I need to know everything will work together at the best bang for buck e.g. I saw a good Ryzen / RAM deal but did not buy it as I heard you should not buy RAM less than 3000 for Ryzen. Similarly I have skipped other deals because people said you should avoid generation 6 or 7 processors. I am hoping by laying my cards on the table, someone much more knowledgeable than me can steer me on the right course.

Many thanks.

Soldato
Will the mobo support RAID 5 though?

Apparently no Ryzen board does.

Do you actually need RAID 5 or could there be a better alternative like Windows Storage Spaces' Parity Mode? Convo about it here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/706hta/amd_dropped_raid_5_support_with_am4_whats_the/

Some members who post in the Storage forum here at OcUK really know their stuff too and might recommend something if you ask there.

Associate
OP
Actually I was going to ask that myself about the RAID, so glad someone already raised it. My existing disks are in a non RAID configuration, but as I have a backup in place, I guess I can just recycle these for the time being.

Elsewhere the following mobo / CPU combination was suggested to me:

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Desktop

Is there much benefit to be had in going for the 1600x model instead? Also I wonder if anyone can comment on the ASUS mobo compared to the Gigabyte GA-AB350M?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Man of Honour
1600x model instead
not really, all amd processors are multiplier unlocked (unlike intel) so you'd still be able to overclock the 1600.
also the 1600x doesn't come with the stock cooler, so you'd have to spend more on top of the premium already to buy an aftermarket cooler

ASUS mobo compared to the Gigabyte GA-AB350M
asus is ATX form factor, ab350m is MATX.
asus has better sound (1220 vs 887) and arguably better NIC (intel vs realtek)
over all, much of a muchness, is that worth an extra £35? not sure
also need to take into account warranty, gigabyte far outshines asus - basically SOL if your asus mobo breaks, asus customer services are basically non-existent in uk

Soldato
Intel flip side that does support Raid 5 . Though wait till H370 in April , Gigabytes version is designed better then z370 low end and mid range . To be honest all h370 from vendors are better the .80% of their current board
Also comes with a price tag , should be roughly above

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £400.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Ryzen is better value for money, Def their B350 chipset Vs Intel's H370

Soldato
Don't bother with RAID 5. Rebuild times can be significant and if something goes wrong you'll be restoring from backup. RAID 1 - mirroring is the simplest and best for small numbers of disks.

Associate
OP
Don't bother with RAID 5. Rebuild times can be significant and if something goes wrong you'll be restoring from backup. RAID 1 - mirroring is the simplest and best for small numbers of disks.

I currently have 6 hard disks! Like I say I have a whole lot of data from decades due to my audio / video interests. My storage requirement is not negotiable, although I am willing to forgo RAID.

Associate
OP
not really, all amd processors are multiplier unlocked (unlike intel) so you'd still be able to overclock the 1600.
also the 1600x doesn't come with the stock cooler, so you'd have to spend more on top of the premium already to buy an aftermarket cooler

/
Good points. Silly question now, how easy it is to overclock a Ryzen? Never done anything like that in my life before. Also, does it halve its lifespan?

Back
Top Bottom