Budget Gaming Build

Associate
Hi all, first of all thank you in advance for sharing your expertise with us.

I am wanting to build a gaming PC for things like Rust, WoW, Overwatch.

I am open to the second hand market / buying a pre built PC if that is better value for money.

Budget - ideally about £500 or £600 at a push. Need to try and squeeze a monitor into the budget too if possible. I know not to expect too much in this price range.

I have saw a lot about the upcoming announcements, but am not sure if this will affect me much with my budget being low?

Can you please assist in recommending a build that is price conscious with an acceptable performance? I will probably buy cheap peripherals for now and upgrade them as I go on. If I need to do the same with the monitor then so be it...

Any parts you recommend looking for 2nd hand in particular to help bring the costs down would also be great to know.

Many thanks to you all!

Soldato
I’d go for the below personally.

Obvious answer is get as much as you can 2nd hand. Prob save some money on GPU and monitor if look in used markets. And anything else of course you can find.

PSU is at least semi modular. Case is very good quality for mATX at this price by Lian Li. SSD is good choice with DRAM.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £692.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Interesting... do you think there is much point in me holding off until the new releases like most are at the moment or will it not really impact the lower end much?

I'm currently without a PC so the sooner the better, but very aware I don't want to buy something that will be rubbish in a year.

There is currently a 2nd hand pre-built computer that is around £350, and includes some peripherals, so would get me up and running and leave me with some cash for a monitor / any necessary upgrades. What do you think of this?

Technical specification:
Product Description MSI Infinite S 9SA 070UK - compact PC - Core i5 9400F - 8 GB - SSD 256 GB, HDD 1 TB
Processor Intel Core i5 (9th Gen) 9400F (6-core)
RAM 8 GB (installed) / 32 GB (max) - DDR4 SDRAM
Storage Controller SATA (SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive SSD 256 GB
Hard Drive (2nd) HDD 1 TB - Serial ATA - 7200 rpm
Graphics Controller NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Video Memory 4 GB
Audio Output 7.1 channel surround
Networking GigE, Bluetooth, 802.11ac
OS Provided Windows 10 Home

Associate
OP
This looks great, thank you for taking the time to do that Sparx!

Just a quick question - I have found a second hand Nvidia GTX1050ti 4gb for £30 - would this do for the next 6 months to a year, and fit in to the below build without any issues?

Thinking I could then upgrade to one of the newer graphics cards with some Christmas/birthday money put to one side.

I’d go for the below personally.

Obvious answer is get as much as you can 2nd hand. Prob save some money on GPU and monitor if look in used markets. And anything else of course you can find.

PSU is at least semi modular. Case is very good quality for mATX at this price by Lian Li. SSD is good choice with DRAM.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £692.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
1050 Ti is realllyyyy not that good... Have a look at benchmarks here compared to a 1650 Super. Seems to only average 40-50 fps in games @ 1080p.

Depends on your expectations. I mean sure it'll run WoW and Overwatch. But putting up with it for 6 months to a year? Yikes :p

Associate
OP
I'll have a go with it until Christmas at least - they go for more on eBay so can always make a small profit re-selling if it's not sufficient. It gets me up and running for now at least!

I have revised the basket, down to £533 now :)

Going to take a look at some monitors - any particular screen sizes, resolutions or specs I should be going for with this build?

I know I should be looking out for less ms response time and more Hz refresh rate. Is an 'IPS' type essential?

Would a 27" Dell monitor with 5ms response and 75Hz refresh rate with Freesync that does 1920 x 1080 be an acceptable option or is this more for general PC use than gaming?

Soldato
Yeah fair enough. It's not that bad, just not that great. But it'll still run the games you want.

Display wise... It's up to you, a monitor is kind of a "don't change it that often" component though. Depends how tight you are with the budget.

Ideally I'd try at least get a high refresh rate (120Hz+) disply if you can. But if you can't then just get whatever cheap 24-27" 1080p display you can.

Associate
OP
What date is the A520M DS3H getting released, and if you don't mind me asking why this one over the others (I'm not sure what look out for with a motherboard)?

Are there any alternatives that can be ordered currently?

Also the Lian-Li case is OOS until 30.09 - any recommended replacements or is this the best in that price range? If so I can hang on till 30th.

Edit: My bro has a brand new 24" Philips 1080p monitor, 5ms and 60hz that he does not use. Going to use this for now :D:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Revised build price with the used parts sourced.

Really happy with the price! Gives me a bit of money to spend on peripherals - I've got a set of HyperX headphones already but need to invest in a mech keyboard / mouse.

Only problem now is the Lian-Li OOS till 30/09, and A520m showing as 'pre-order'. Any other alternatives to these or am I best waiting?

Associate
OP
Yeah going to hang on and see if OC get the 3100 in stock first, but there are places with stock available if need be when I'm ready to buy.

One thought I have had is if I was running off LAN I would have to buy a power line to run the cable upstairs - why not spend the extra money on a better motherboard with WiFi?

This seems to be the cheapest AMD board that has WiFi - would you recommend this model or is there better around the same price?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...am4-b550-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-358-ms.html

Soldato
OcUK haven't had stock of the 3100 for weeks, no ETA shown either. So if you've found it elsewhere I'd grab it fairly sharpish.

Yeah that's a decent B550 board with WiFi for the money. If you can find it in stock, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom