Budget laptop for use with Video editing software

Associate
Hi folks,
Relatively new to the group and looking for some basic advice.
I am currently editing 4k video on an all in one Lenovo desktop but it's old and low spec, (i3 CPU and 8GB with onboard graphics) and of course it's taking an age to do anything.
So I'm looking for a reasonable laptop to edit 4K video - I'll leave the desktop in situ as my internet and general purpose machine.
I'm using DJI Air2, Mini2 and Osmo Pocket 2 for source material.
I'd like to have a go at learning colour grading so I was looking at Davinci Resolve (as it's free!) but it's VERY resource hungry so I'll probably go with Filmora or Shotcut initially. (other suggestions welcomed!)
I've outlayed quite a bit on my toys lately so I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible - I understand I'm not going to get state of the art kit with a 4K screen etc for much less than £1200 but realistically my budget is half that amount.
So I'm after suggestions. I'm thinking i5/10th gen CPU with 8GB and a 4GB GPU is about as basic as I can go to actually get results?
I've looked at this laptop:
MSI GF63 Thin 9SCSR-1069UK Core i5-9300H 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch GeForce GTX 1650Ti with Win 10 which I can pick up for £669

It's a "gaming" laptop but seems as though it might fit the bill?
I'd consider a refurb with a guarantee - I know there are a lot of used machines out there but I'd be a bit concerned laying out £500 to buy a dud.
All suggestions welcome!
Thanks for reading :)

Associate
I'm in a similar position to you - 1080p using premiere pro.

It's hard to find advice but I'm keeping a keen eye on hotukdeals.

I'm thinking of getting the matebook 14, ryzen 5, £770 with student discount but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

G15 with a 1660ti on here for £879 - but the screen is apparently poor.

G14 is the better laptop but costs more.

Slim and powerful demands a budget approx £1k which is annoying.

Associate
You can't go wrong with this - https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/lenovo-yoga-slim-7-3799145/

If you can bag the Zen 2 Ryzen Yoga Slim 7 Pro from somewhere cheap - I'd snap that up. It trades blows with the macbook M1. I wouldn't mind about the lack of discrete GPU either.

The Zephyrus G14 (Ryzen) from last year is a good shout. Alternatively, within your budget, the Dell (outlet) G5 15 - 5505 with Ryzen 5 4600H and Radeon RX 5600M discrete GPU is very decent for £650-700. You can also get a G3 with 10th gen i7 (hex-core) and 1650ti for low £700s. If you want a really decent screen, I'd get a 9th gen i5/i7 xps 15 with a GTX1650 but you're talking £1k+ for those.

Back
Top Bottom