Budgeting max £20k for a car. Audi A3 Sportback or...?

Caporegime
Hi guys. I am looking at getting a car soon to give myself some flexibility for random trips mostly at the weekend as my commute to work is via public transport and I have not owned a car in around 10 years (my last car was a Renault Clio 182, heh). Where I live abroad has great public transport but it limits spontaneous trips to difficult to reach areas and so I want to get myself some wheels once more for going skiing and random weekend trips.

Important requirements are:
  • 5 door hatchback style
  • FWD or 4WD (will be in snowy/icy conditions in Winter)
  • Economical engine with some grunt
  • Automatic transmission
  • Nice kit/extras (satnav, infotainment, automatic lights, automatic wipers etc)
  • Max £20k
I test drove a 2016 Audi A3 Sportback TFSI 1.4 the other week and was very impressed, price was around £18.5k. The interior looked and felt lovely and equipment seemed decent too (I loved the wireless phone charging) although I was a bit surprised that they don't all have automatically folding mirrors when parked. The engine is powerful enough and economical and in general being an automatic it was a very comfortable car to drive. It had convenient storage for skis etc too which is important as I will be taking it to the mountains skiing in Winter (I live abroad).

I know I can save a few thousand on a Golf but to be honest I like the additional prestige of an Audi and find the sharp and aggressive styling much more to my tastes.

Is the Audi A3 the best option in its class when considering performance/comfort/kit for max £20k or is there something else that competes with it that I should also check out? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me. :)

Soldato
If he's writing off a Volkswagen for not having a prestigious enough badge, it's a safe bet a Vauxhall won't cut it either.

With that in mind, BMW 1 Series, Mercedes A Class.

Outside suggestions if you fancied a pointless crossover or similar, BMW 2 series active tourer, X1 or X2, Mercedes GLA/GLC, Audi Q2 or Q3.

Not sure if they'll come under budget, will depend how old you're willing to go.

Soldato
A3 or Golf GT/GTD. Audi's are a step higher in finish/material quality, Golf's are better value.

I've got a MK6 Golf GT and it's a very good car. Would probably pick a MK7 GTD to replace it. VW can still be stingy on kit, so you have to go to the higher and highest trim levels to get plenty of kit. GTD's have the 184ps diesel which you can also get in the A3, but you're going to get a newer, lower mileage/better condition Golf for the same money.

Man of Honour
Without knowing where you are (Other than 'abroad') how are we supposed to suggest cars for £20k? £20k in the UK goes far further than £20k in Australia for example!

Caporegime
OP
Cheers for the replies guys.

I'd avoid the 1.4tfsi engine. Opt for the 2L, much better overall with fewer problems albeit still not perfect.

The 1.4 TFSI has great reviews from what I have seen... what are the problems? The engines that had problems from what I read were the 1.4 TSI which was the engine found in the Ibiza Cupra, Polo GTI, Fabia VRS etc.

Just to note, I think you've probably lost any NCB you previously had.

Doesn't matter as it doesn't carry over to other countries anyway. I was quoted £680 per year for the Audi A3 1.4tsfi and that is fine for me. :)

This sounds like my car, which is: Astra elite 1.4T auto, was 15k 1 yr old with pretty much every option.

You are right that I could get more for my money and Vauxhalls are perfectly respectable cars, but I am looking to indulge myself a little with the badge.

If he's writing off a Volkswagen for not having a prestigious enough badge, it's a safe bet a Vauxhall won't cut it either.

With that in mind, BMW 1 Series, Mercedes A Class.

Outside suggestions if you fancied a pointless crossover or similar, BMW 2 series active tourer, X1 or X2, Mercedes GLA/GLC, Audi Q2 or Q3.

Not sure if they'll come under budget, will depend how old you're willing to go.

Not really into the crossovers as I think they are a little ungainly and I want to keep it as compact as possible while having a reasonable level of space for what I need. I think the A3 Sportback size is ideal for me. :)

Without knowing where you are (Other than 'abroad') how are we supposed to suggest cars for £20k? £20k in the UK goes far further than £20k in Australia for example!

The market is very similar to the UK (a bit pricier but not too bad) so please use that as a basis.

How old of a car are you wanting? :p

If relatively new 20k may not get a good car AND nice interior.

As I wrote in the first post that 18.5k gets me a late 2016 Audi A3 sportback with most of the trimmings and that is a nice car with a great interior. Ideally I want something 2 years old at the most with some warranty left. :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I was looking at similar and ended up with a fully loaded 2016 Golf 1.4 150PS ACT. Shockingly expensive for a 2nd-hand Golf, but that's what they command apparently. Was looking at A3s, but they are significantly more expensive with similar spec, mileage and age, unless you want the 125bhp. Eww.

Honestly, it sounds like you want an A3, so just get an A3. You get more for your money with a Golf, but you won't have the Audi badge or the possibility of Quattro.

-edit, I paid almost bang on £18,500 based on the current exchange rate. VW dealer, 3 years warranty. Also 'abroad' ;)

Caporegime
OP
I was looking at similar and ended up with a fully loaded 2016 Golf 1.4 150PS ACT. Shockingly expensive for a 2nd-hand Golf, but that's what they command apparently. Was looking at A3s, but they are significantly more expensive with similar spec, mileage and age, unless you want the 125bhp. Eww.

Honestly, it sounds like you want an A3, so just get an A3. You get more for your money with a Golf, but you won't have the Audi badge or the possibility of Quattro.

-edit, I paid almost bang on £18,500 based on the current exchange rate. VW dealer, 3 years warranty. Also 'abroad' ;)
I'm open to other options or I wouldn't be making the thread, I just haven't seen anything that tops the Audi yet so was looking for inspiration. I also considered VW but the price difference is surprisingly not that significant (in my mind anyway) to step up to an Audi, maybe 20% extra which to me is worth it for long-term satisfaction. What model did you get, was it the Golf Highline?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'm open to other options or I wouldn't be making the thread, I just haven't seen anything that tops the Audi yet so was looking for inspiration. I also considered VW but the price difference is surprisingly not that significant (in my mind anyway) to step up to an Audi, maybe 20% extra which to me is worth it for long-term satisfaction. What model did you get, was it the Golf Highline?
Yup, 'tis a Highline. Pretty much every option other than sunroof, keyless and reversing camera. (all three would've been nice, but I don't have the time to source one from Germany).
In Belgium everyone has humdrum company cars so full-spec cars are rare. This thing has the ergo active seats, adaptive cruise, electric folding mirrors, etc. Given the amount I was spending, DSG, adaptive cruise, heated seats, xenon, nav and electric folding mirrors (surprisingly rare!) were my must-haves.

Other than keyless and lack of adaptive cruise, it's pretty much identical to this one.
http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified/337764506

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom