Build Help & Advice

Associate
Hi all,

I haven't built a computer in about 10 years and I am looking to build a new one.

The primary focus of the machine will be to play some of the latest games (and future), preferably at ultra settings. The ONE game I am interested in playing more than most is The Division 2 which has a release date of 15th March 2019 (We'll see about that)

Bare with me as I could be way off with the build I have in mind, but here goes:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming M5

CPU: i7-8700 (Coffee lake)

SSD: 240GB Corsair Force MP500 (NVMe)

HDD 2TB Toshiba p300 7200RPM

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNOVA G1+

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX CAS: 16-16-16-39

GPU: Unsure what I’d need to run ultra-settings for modern games

Recommendations, advice, help and insights would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Reece

Soldato
You will also want a CPU cooler even if you go for the non overclockable i7-8700 because the Intel stock cooler isn't that good for it. Just something to get away with temporarily if absolutely needed. £20-30 cooler would be fine. If you do intend to overclock, then even better cooler needed, as well the 8700K.

Associate
OP
welcome, whats your budget and what your monitor model/res/hz ?

Thanks for the welcome. My budget is roughly around £1000-1200

I would preferably like to stay on the Intel side of things if possible (I've not much experience with anything AMD)

I haven't got a monitor yet, and they are in a separate budget but any recommendations would be appreciated.

The main focus is just the case, though.

Thanks again.
Hope this helps.

You will also want a CPU cooler even if you go for the non overclockable i7-8700 because the Intel stock cooler isn't that good for it. Just something to get away with temporarily if absolutely needed. £20-30 cooler would be fine. If you do intend to overclock, then even better cooler needed, as well the 8700K.

My apologies. I did not include my cooler.

Be quiet! Shadow Rock slim
or
Corsair H100X.

Not sure whether I would NEED the liquid cooling. I know it is obviously going to help but not sure if it would be a necessity .

Soldato
knowing your monitor budget also plays a key part in knowing what GPU to suggest - freesync monitors are £200 cheaper then nvidia g-sync but a lot of people use nvidia cards on freesync screen etc

Associate
OP
knowing your monitor budget also plays a key part in knowing what GPU to suggest - freesync monitors are £200 cheaper then nvidia g-sync but a lot of people use nvidia cards on freesync screen etc
Okay. If I was to say 200-300 for a pair where would that leave me to start?

I could look at upgrading a few months later if appropriate.

Thanks again.

Soldato
If you are looking at 1080p (1920 x 1080) monitors then an RX 580 or GTX 1060 is entry level. The next step up would be a Vega 56 or GTX 1070/ti.

I think you can do better on the case. Something like the Fractal Meshify is around £50 cheaper.

If you go with the non 'k' i7 8700 then a cheapo cooler will be fine. You could also go with a cheaper chipset unless you want support for the upcoming cpu's.

Associate
OP
If you are looking at 1080p (1920 x 1080) monitors then an RX 580 or GTX 1060 is entry level. The next step up would be a Vega 56 or GTX 1070/ti.

I think you can do better on the case. Something like the Fractal Meshify is around £50 cheaper.

If you go with the non 'k' i7 8700 then a cheapo cooler will be fine. You could also go with a cheaper chipset unless you want support for the upcoming cpu's.

The CPU and Case points are noted. Thanks.

I would like to keep the chipset so I have the option for future CPU's, should I wish to upgrade.

How 'futureproof' would the 1070 or Ti be?

Soldato
pushing both budgets

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,445.69 (includes shipping: £20.82)

dont think you'd match 1440p screen and gaming with intel nor Nvidia

OC cores to 4ghz all cores- less stress on CPU at 1440p+ res

also get 3 free games with AMD for the vega card​

Soldato
The CPU and Case points are noted. Thanks.

I would like to keep the chipset so I have the option for future CPU's, should I wish to upgrade.

How 'futureproof' would the 1070 or Ti be?

Case is personal preference of course, but there are some good cases around the £70 mark. A full tower is also a bit of a waste for most people unless you are filling it with a water cooling loop and/or SLI etc.

The build above is spot on for £1500 if you want to go with a 1440p monitor. The Vega 56 is on par with a GTX 1070 but of course you can overclock it for some extra gain.

An alternative budget case would be something like the Fractal Focus.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £60.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom