1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building my first PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ninjaskull, 7 Feb 2006.

1. ninjaskull

Gangster

could someone help me with what I would need to build a PC. Here is what I would be using it for.

I am getting a digital camera and SD card for my birthday and will be taking thousands and thousands of photos with it (literatly) and alot of home videos. I would be using the PC for the web and keeping all my CDs and DVD collection on. I will be using alot of USB devices such as the digital camera, webcam, wireless network card, key board, mouse, scanner, printer, my portable HDD, and anything else I can't remember now. I would like to use two screens. I would be watching TV on it and watching DVDs on it. I would also be burning my home videos onto DVD. I don't really want windows as the OS but if there is a way to take away all windows programmes and change the start up screen and log on screen then I will be happy with xp.

here is what I think I will need, if I miss anything out please tell me:

Case
    Mobo
    CPU
    RAM
    HDD x 2 maybe 3 or 4
    DVD-rw x 2 (so I can watch DVD and burn at same time or even burn 2)
    SD Card reader
    monitor x 2
    tv out card
    GFX card
    USB card
    Sound card
    PSU
    mouse
    keyboard
    printer
    scanner
    webcam
    wireless network card

anything else I missed out?

I have some of these already so I will make a spec once I know everything I need for it.

many thanks

Murray

2. badbob

PermaBanned

CPU heastink/fan
    UPS/surge spike protector.
    Speakers
    Headphones
    DSL router?
    TV out-card is GFX card (if it has S-Video out)
    TV Tuner/capture card
    Multiway power block :D

edit USB card reader

Last edited: 7 Feb 2006
  3. ninjaskull

Gangster

I already have a DSL router
    what is a UPS/surge spike protector and Multiway power block?
    would I use AMD or intel?

many thanks

Last edited: 7 Feb 2006
  4. badbob

PermaBanned

5. maddad68

Banned

I think 2k ..maybe 3k will get you up and running :D

6. ninjaskull

Gangster

ok now I know what I need here is what I need from the list:

Case (maybe have)
    Mobo
    CPU
    RAM
    HDD
    DVD-rw
    SD Card reader
    tv out card
    GFX card
    USB card
    Sound card
    PSU
    UPS/surge spike protector.
    TV out-card is GFX card (if it has S-Video out)
    TV Tuner/capture card

here is what I already have:

HDD
    DVD-rw
    monitor x 2
    mouse
    keyboard
    printer
    scanner
    webcam
    wireless network card
    CPU heastink/fan
    Speakers
    Headphones
    DSL router
    Multiway power block

many thanks

7. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

The CPu heatsink/fan bombo are probably specific to an Intel or AMD socket. If you already have one then and want to re-use it, you'll have to pick a CPU on the same socket.

You'd probably be better off picking a CPU that you want then getting a heatsink that fits it, rather than the other way around.

Also, you probably don't need ALL that stuff. If you're going for your first build might I suggest you go with the basics?

8. ninjaskull

Gangster

what would would you say I would need for what I need it for? I wouldnt be editing the videos i'd just be putting them on DVD

9. R B Customs

Mobster

dual displays are easy to set up... warning... once u get em you cant go back to a single monitor !! its like going back to the stoneage lol
    if its not a gaming machine, and its more directed toward medi id probs say Intel... AMD for games though ;)

do you have a budget ??
    Rick

10. ninjaskull

Gangster

ok I wont be using it for games at all. I havn't really thought about it but I was thinking of buying parts every few weeks and put it together gradually. I want to make my own spec because I want to actually acheive something

many thanks for the help

11. badbob

PermaBanned

Tallied up a very nice system, check for yourself all parts are the right ones. I like spending other people's money :p I think everything is there.

[​IMG]

12. PinkPig

Mobster

If you mean "CPU this week", "motherboard this week", etc, that's a silly idea - you'll pay more for the postage if you buy online, prices always come down rather than up so you'd be better off waiting, if something is broken on arrival you won't know for weeks or months and so can't return it, and there's really no point in having a half-built system sitting around.

On the other hand if you mean buying the extra monitor or extra DVD drive at some point in the future, then no problem.

13. badbob

PermaBanned

Have to agree with PP, bit silly paying for some parts (especially those that depreciate) and not using them. Case, PSU is another matter...it's what I've done (those two cost £200) Until I can afford it just leave PSU/case boxed up - tested PSU of course. So once I've paid that off buy everything I need to finish off the PC.