Buildzoid's idea for a passive X570 chipset heatsink

Soldato

@Plec

Haven't watched it yet, will do so later.
YAY!!! - I need a break - will watch now!

Cheers Danny - don't tell Tamzzy or Orbi - if it's even semi-viable they'll collar me. Especially, as Tamzzy will be looking for payback as i'm posting x570i in his face at every given opportunity (he wants it, just needs a bit of validation :p) - and Orbi, well look at his motherboard thread and you'll understand. When he's back from suspension he may have a lot to say :D

Soldato
@Danny75, well, I'm safe (or not as had it been simple i would have been sorely tempted) in the fact that i can't do the mod myself - definitely a redesign required from manufacturers - regardless of what he says about the Master - i wouldn't attempt that.

The concept is certainly feasible - but fear the costs involved will hinder the concept becoming a reality on the x570 i.e: logistics/packaging (the tall fin-stack would definitely have to be assembled by the user) and board redesign (moving 24 pin/capacitor, right angled headers etc - i am talking mainly about the Pro but concept is same for most Gigabyte boards. Asus was a bust...).

Personally, i like the idea - plus, i think Buildzoid has forgotten that the existing PCH heatsink could be given a larger surface area without the fan sunken into it. This would mean his fin-stack idea may not have to be quite as large as anticipated - especially near the end of his video where its size gets a bit over ambitious.

The fact that he mentioned Gigabyte had X570s boards without fans at Computex means it must have been a particular concern for board manufactures, on how well they would be received. And given the community rumblings around the fan and videos like this - hopefully that bodes well for the b550s, even if they do have minimal PCIe 4 capability.

*And someone send Buildzoid a Sketchup tutorial - that was painful to watch, even with my limited usage...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom