1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn the paedophiles!

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by cleanbluesky, 16 Feb 2006.

1. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

2. pyro

Capodecina

Learn Greek tbh.

3. Sleepy

PermaBanned

television

4. Borris

Caporegime

There was a television programme a few weeks ago where one member of the public referred to piddlyphilia.

Sounds messy.

5. Borris

Caporegime

Here's the BBC's treatment of the event at the time:
    Source

6. William

Capodecina

I know a person who's dad is a paediatrician and was beaten up in a pub when a load of drunks misheard what he said he did for a living. I guess its all down to this:

That and booze.

7. Borris

Caporegime

But you just posted two contradicting things - on the one hand, a paediatrician gets a beating, on the other, that such stories are scaremongering.

Which is it?

How about posting a story of a paedophile that gets a job on a childrens' ward due to a lack of hospital funding and clearical errors?

8. Skunkworks

Soldato

The trouble is that a lot, possibly even a majority, buy into this media hype surrounding peados. I have friends who have children and I often hear things like “you can’t let them out of your sight these days”, “you never know who’s around these days”, and “it’s not like when we were kids”. I try to explain that statistics show that a child is no more likely to be abducted now than 20 years ago. But then I get the “you don’t have children so can’t comment” tone of voice.

I feel sorry for their children, as they’ll have absolutely no freedom until they’re adults.

9. Borris

Caporegime

Inform them that children are far more likely to be abused by relatives than strangers.

That should stop the condescension.

10. Indy11

Gangster

:D
    The sad truth is that the pediatrician did, in the end, feel compelled to move out of that house.

11. Nana

Wise Guy

well tbh it wouldnt be the first time that pure ignorance has perpetuated violence.

12. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Its says she wanted to, what that means is abstract

13. Chronos-X

Banned

The attitude towards the crime is what resulted in the Brass Eye special.

Much as any kind of child abuse is wrong on so many levels, I reject the sensationalisation given to paedophilia specifically: take your average KW post on here, someone will go to any lengths to describe what they'd do to a paedophile but your friendly neighbourhood murderer or torturer doesn't get the same treatment.

I suspect that people are more willing to denounce this vile crime than they are to denounce others as they feel they should: this is the kind of sensationalism that led Phil Collins to announce that paedofiles have more in common, DNA-wise, with crabs then everyone else.

14. pyro

Capodecina

That's only half Greek, the rest is Latin!

15. Saberu

Mobster

I think it's just because the crime revolves around children that it is looked upon with such disgust.

If there was a comparison between the killing of a child and the molesting of a child I would hope that the killing would seem more wrong.

16. William

Capodecina

Without the scaremongering the beating probably would not have happened.

17. Borris

Caporegime

You seem to be missing the whole point - the scaremongering is that paediatricians / podiatrists are being mistaken fo paedophiles and targetted as such.

18. Indy11

Gangster

How about ... that ignorance isn't bliss ... or that ignorance can kill?

19. Borris

Caporegime

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're getting at.