Our kettle in the kitchen broke, so at the moment we have to boil water using pans. Me being the fool I am turned on the hotplate with my mates pan on (with nothing in), leaving my pan of cold water on a cold plate. Thinking, hmm, this isn't boiling, I leave it there for a while. 15-20 minutes later, i realise i have the wrong plate on: I've managed to scrape it off the plate, but there's a foul smell coming from the kitchen now. I have no idea if the fumes are bad for you or just stink? I think its from a copper plated pan, i'm not sure. Should we stay out the kitchen until the fan sucks all the fumes out???