1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning software

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by timbo2410, 30 May 2010.

1. timbo2410

Hitman

Ok I am about to get a Phenom II X 6 1055 (OCUK overclocked bundle). Now I'm currently using Nero 10 to burn most of my movies. I usually burn HD/Bluray titles to Bluray discs as I play back on a 60 inch tv. Now my question is, what programs apart from Nero are simple to use, give top quality results and will make use of the CPU capability (multicore) ? If Nero is the easiest choice then fine, if not then I'm all ears :D

2. jvowles

Gangster

I am interested too - i have used nero for years, but cannot believe it still the best?

3. timbo2410

Hitman

yeah I upgraded to the latest version and it really does ok for me. It might be a larger install than a lot of other programs but it hasn't given me any problems at all. It is just a one step burn without extra conversion or out of sync audio ... so I'm happy to stick with it if there is nothing better:)

4. arknor

Caporegime

dvdflick + imgburn

dvdflick can convert any video/audio format into a proper dvd that will play in a standalone player.

it can auto adjust the bitrate so everything fits onto the dvd or you can use your own settings the auto bitrate works really well though ive encoded 16gb of raw video footage from my wifes camcorder and the quality was just the same as it was uncompressed.
    http://www.dvdflick.net/

its suposed to support multiple cores but on my 1055t it was only using 25-30% cpu usage and converting at 50 odd fps so maybe the multiple core suport isnt very good yet but the programs free and works great

5. ricky

Gangster

+1 for Imgburn.
    Also,Ashampoo Burning Studio Free is worth a look,and both free programs.

6. spirits247

Hitman

For free software, this is my recommendation too.

I thought I couldn't live without Nero, but there are viable free solutions out there. All depends what advanced features and support you require.

7. timbo2410

Hitman

i need the ability to burn to bluray discs and encode/recode HD files. :eek:

8. Gizmowithatt

Gangster

I use Ashampoo burning software, I got version 9 for £7.00 a few weeks ago, the new version 10 is available for £34.99 but if you keep an eye on the site they DO have offers, it burns Blue ray discs like a dream.
    Oh you can download it as a trail, and get a trail key, it’s far better than Nero, far more intuitive.

9. magick

Mobster

Another vote here for ImgBurn.

10. Gray

Gangster

I went right off Nero after about v6. I've tried v7 and the rest, but it just got more and more bloated. ImgBurn is a tad more difficult to use, but I prefer it to Nero.

11. Locke

Soldato

Convertxtodvd is what I use, but it's not free. Bearing in mind I burn most of my movies to DVD, not to a Bluray disc..

Otherwise Imgburn is kinda nice.

12. C64

Capodecina

For converting i always liked Main concept to encode and dvd lab pro to make dvds and imgburn to burn.

Dvdflick is the easiest less advanced app to use though does the job well.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2010
  13. Fonz-Valo

Wise Guy

A quick note on dvdflick for those of you getting slow encoding on multicore cpu's e.g. 50fps

The version of ffmpeg supplied with DVDflick does not seem to properly utilise all the cores available. The fix for this is to download the latest ffmpeg and replace the ffmpeg.exe files inside the dvd flick/bin directory

When i first got my X4 945 i was encoding at approx 50fps and then i swapped the ffmpeg file for the new one and was encoding at over 200fps so a huge difference.

I'm surprised the dvdflick guys have never properly addressed this issue... maybe its just an AMD issue? i don't know....

Great program though none the less :)

14. Draeger

Capodecina

ImgBurn is pretty awesome for a free app. Been using it for a while now.

15. arknor

Caporegime

thanks for the tip!

i was encoding 16gb of home movies from a holiday last year (yes im lazy) and i was only getting 80fps and 60% cpu load! (1055t)

i dont have anything ro transcode right now but ill set it up for next time

16. arknor

Caporegime

meh just tried swapping in another ffmpeg and im only getting 22% cpu usage and 50fps :(

17. Fonz-Valo

Wise Guy

hmmmm thats odd....

Is it the latest version of ffmpeg?

18. arknor

Caporegime

yea it was, on another forum someone said to use the version of fmpeg that winff is bundled with so i tried that one and only got 2cores working still :(

kinda sad 6 cores and only 2 get used

19. Assassin_012

Hitman

imgburn ofcourse =) great app

20. mcompute

PermaBanned

ImgBurn, don't know if it does bluray though.