Burst a tire! now what?

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a set of shiney new tires then take them on a track day as you'll just wear them out. At most replace both of the front ones so you have the same tyres on both sides. If your skint just replace the one or maybe try looking for a pair of matching part worns, you may even find some branded ones.

Soldato
burns said:
try looking for a pair of matching part worns, you may even find some branded ones.

That reminds me... I got a pair of partworn ContiEcoContacts for my old car. £25 each fitted and balanced with loads of tread left.

Reasonably good tyres. Much better than the balding Pirelli P6's that were on there before.

Soldato
Kinda relevant to your questions:-

The last time I did the skid-pan training course at Knockhill, it was done with their vehicles, not your own. Part of the course is to teach you how to brake and steer properly in a rear wheel drive and a front wheel drive car.

However, that was a couple of years ago, so it might be different now, although I still doubt they will allow you on the skid-pan with your own car.

Also, I did it as part of an EFAD ( Emergency Fire Appliance Driver ) course with Central Scotland F&RS, I dont know how much the civilian course varies from the emergency services one, if indeed, there is any difference.

So.......skid-pan training: Shouldn't make any difference.

On track training : Not sure, never done any in a car, only on the bike. Depends on the course/package opted for at Knockhill I would imagine. :cool:

Soldato
It all depends on your budget

IMO it's better to have two matched budget tyres at the front then one premium tyre and one budget tyre

I'd therefore just buy another identical Arrowspeed tyre to replace the blown one if money is an issue

If you wish to replace them both, Toyo Proxies TI-Rs are good tyres without costing the earth

Soldato
I think it's illegal to put mismatched tyres on the same axle in europe, but not over here. Not sure on that though. Either way I'd buy a pair of part worns if your on a budget. I had mismatched tyres on 309 my for a while and it was a right pain, one always locked up way before the other. I'd expect to get decent part worns fitted for less than those ebay prices so just look for the most shady tyre place you can find and see what they can do:D.

Back
Top Bottom