Bury just hours away from administration.

Associate
I feel for the biggest victims in all of this, the fanbase.

The club has been badly managed for a little while and now it's coming home to roost, I'm not sure this Steve Dale should have ever been allowed to take ownership of the club but I do not like how he is coming across in all of this, otherwise I may have considered donating to the cause.

Associate
I agree. I don't think other clubs should have any responsibility.

The only thing i could potentially think of would be to have a policy whereby each club pays an amount to a "Rescue Fund" and then clubs can access it if they hit trouble. Maybe as an interest free loan or something, providing they can prove they've been relatively prudent.

End of the day, another club will just get promoted up from lower leagues to take Burys place. II'm only saddened as it's a club i used to go and watch. I was far less bothered when it was others in the past! I mentioned it before but i think part of the issue is the clubs being affordable for local businessmen who want to be bigger than the club and almost to be some kind of local hero. They then get bored and the club suffers.

Someone mentioned it above, you provide them with a safety net and clubs will only push themselves further knowing this is available to them should it really hit the fan.

Other clubs seem to manage in these leagues on tight budgets.

Soldato
Someone mentioned it above, you provide them with a safety net and clubs will only push themselves further knowing this is available to them should it really hit the fan.

Other clubs seem to manage in these leagues on tight budgets.

Which is why i added the bit about them having to prove they're been prudent and just struggling. It probably wouldn't apply in Burys case.

You do it as an interest free loan and it helps them out through tough times whilst they restructure and saves them ending up borrowing at huge interest rates putting further strain on their finances.

Although if the FA did their job and vetted the owners like they're supposed to then i imagine most clubs wouldn't have anywhere near as many issues. Clubs like this are usually at the whim of the owner and it's not the club/local communities fault that the owner is a knob!

Caporegime
Why should they? Bigger clubs / players are not responsible for Bury FC and how they are run.

Half of the Premier League and Championship would be in trouble financially if not for their sugar daddy owners. It's not easy when you're a small town with small attendances and half your town support Chelsea/Man UTD etc. Then there's the fact that big clubs generally like to pillage clubs like Bury of youth/star players and stopping them from progressing anywhere. The future of football is just going to be lower leagues filled with Premier League/Championship B and C teams if nothing is done.

Soldato
As a supporter of a club that went into admin (and credited with creating the current point deduction rules), I can say the current approach is very wrong.

The biggest shareholder of the club when it went into admin, appeared to get away scot free. He even became a "Honorary President" of the club after it came out of admin. I feel the punishment for a club going into admin needs to be aimed at the owner(s), not the fans/teams/players. So not a points deduction but instead legal action taken against the owners. I expect the problem is tho its effectively like a PLC where the owners are not personally liable, and can get away with choosing to have a club go into admin instead of funding the plugs.

Soldato
Take-over is off it seems. Looks like that'll be it then.

Presumably the same for Bolton too. Be curious what happens to their stadium. Gigg Lane at bury could be knocked down for housing should it come to that but the Middlebrook (Sorry University of Bolton stadium) is a focal point in a big development with shops and hotels etc.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
nothing to stop them rejoining lower down the leagues...so the grounds would still be viable unless they are forced to sell to pay off creditors

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Agents and players do not help, your in the 2nd division son that does not entitle you to a 1/3 of the salary of a premership player far from it.

Money has made football nothing but a bore fest, its a national disgrace not the national game. Mind you i hate football :)

Soldato
You kind of get used to clubs playing this dance with disaster thing and someone saving them at the 11th hour but eventually I guess someone wasn’t going to be saved and sadly for Bury fans it’s them :(

Bolton will escape this time I reckon.

Soldato
Ha! I was disappointed to see Salford get promoted.

I read that Bury are the first club since Maidstone in 1992 to get expelled from the football league. Maidstone still exist as a football club, but in the National League South.

Back
Top Bottom