Buying a new system for mostly older games

Associate
My old gaming desktop is the best part of 10 years old and is dying off bit by bit.

I have a newer laptop, which is good for most stuff, but would still like a desktop set-up in the home for a combination of games and ripping/burning CDs and DVDs...

(although I'm willing to be convinced it would be way better just to dock laptop with mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc if you think that's more sensible?)

... It's not the highest priority to play the newest games at the highest settings for me, or play online multiplayer with perfect FPS.

I'd like to be able to play older games very smoothly, play casually online a bit, and then anything cost effective on top of that, but ideally I'd like to keep cost right down.

What sort of spec should I be looking at for a cost-effective solution?

Thanks

Associate
I need to know if you are after a tower only or do you need an os disc or a monitor?

For the tower only to play older games we are looking at about £500-800 for the tower varing on what these older games are maybe you can tell us?

Edit

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £672.54 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I need to know if you are after a tower only or do you need an os disc or a monitor?

For the tower only to play older games we are looking at about £500-800 for the tower varing on what these older games are maybe you can tell us?

Thanks.

I have a good monitor/speaker set-up, etc.
I suspect I have a Windows 10 o/s disc here somewhere, so might be that I can get away with tower only unless major advantages to having new disc or preinstalled o/s
Majority of games I already own or have an eye on are probably 2010 or earlier (lapsed gamer) - crysis, Fallout3, Mass Effect 1-2.
I'd of course be happier to run newer games depending on the marginal cost (i.e. if I have to pay a few hundred £ more for a few more years' games running well I prrrrobably wouldn't, but if the difference is small, then I might?)

Associate
Ok as you say you want to spend the least amount of money and those games i suppose you want to play those old games or high or max and new games on around about medium setting.

I got you on that one, you just want a more beefy system.

Going to do another build.

Edit - aiming for around about 500 quid.

Associate
OP
Ok as you say you want to spend the least amount of money and those games i suppose you want to play those old games or high or max and new games on around about medium setting.

I got you on that one, you just want a more beefy system.

Going to do another build.

Edit - aiming for around about 500 quid.

Yes, that sounds pretty much bang on to me re: settings.
Yes, somewhat more beefy and much more not slowly disintegrating :D

Thanks

Associate
Something like this below, i went with a vega am4 amd processor comes with a built in gpu to the processor you see.

Total: £455.55 (includes shipping: £11.70)

edit i recommend this below and is about 500 quid exact almost and i recommend it so much because you will be able to play these old games on at least medium to high setting.

Total: £506.55 (includes shipping: £11.70)

My 2p :).​

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^ 2400g

X370 Gaming 3 also get a free copy of FarCry 5 :)

Board is a bit more but better and 256GB comes with it

Use StoreMI with the HDD and SSD to create a large fast hybrid drive :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks again - quick follow-up Q; buying and assembling as components would be new to me - I'm by no means cack-handed and can follow instructions/youtube videos, but how challenging is that likely to be, do you think?

Much appreciated!

Soldato
Thanks again - quick follow-up Q; buying and assembling as components would be new to me - I'm by no means cack-handed and can follow instructions/youtube videos, but how challenging is that likely to be, do you think?

Much appreciated!

pretty simple - step by step and take your time. Going B450 Aorus means you dont have to run the risk of older B350/x370 board not being flashed to handle newer 2*** chips. they should be by now but always a risk. On the plus side- Gigabyte is UK based and can flash older gen boards for free I believe , @GIGA-Man rep is also on hand along with members on here and OCUK customer service staff is something goes amiss

hardest part, because its amd , is getting the CPU into the socket- why... contact pins are on the CPU and not the mobo like intel and not handling with care and break them and cant be fixed. When you get the CPU out, put it straight into the stock and lock it down

Soldato
Thanks a lot!

also, nice case. can house DVD and is also glass so harder to scratch

Total: £51.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

pKzvwXe.jpg

B450 boards also have a feature called StoreMI, which masically combines an SSD and HDD to create a lage fast hybrid .
You'd install the OS to the HDD and then add in the SSD and combine the drives . specially if SSD is free its a neat option​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom