Buying first gaming monitor

Associate
I have a ryzen 7 3700x and radeon rx 5700 build what monitor should I get (I would like it to have 120hz+) budget of £225(preferably lower). And I will wait till black Friday for good deal

Permabanned
VG259QM was the best monitor i ever had since my old CRT. £268 1st gen IPS runs at 280hz flicker free what else exists that compares for gaming?

You will not be dissapointed unless you really demand 1440p but personally i run mine at 1080p or 4k. 1440p from 1080p for me is too small a leap to sacrifice and pay the extra those screens demand. Honestly VG259QM is the best bargain in PC gaming atm and its a travesty that there us not a page here raving about it.

Associate
If you value picture quality then a VA type panel would be a better shout but it comes with smearing, an issue with VA's outside of the G7. IPS screens are more commonly better for competitive gaming depending on the panel, not the best for dark room usage, movies, games with lots of dark scenes due to poor contrast and glow and black uniformity.
I would personally up your budget and start narrowing out monitors to aim for in my opinion, a monitor is going to be the most important piece of equipment in your rig because it's what you're going to look at for the next 5 years.

The AG273QX is a nice screen, good all-rounder. If you want something that looks good, values picture quality over competitive play the G27QC is fantastic and closer to your budget, blacks look great, dark room performance is also good. If you're looking for only competitive gaming and you don't care about the picture quality the GL83A or if you want lower res, the AW2521HF or the MAG251RX are quite decent for that use but AUO Panels do suffer from poorer QC than normal.

Associate
Yes

How does amd vsr work would I be able to tell the difference between real 1440p and vsr I like the look of this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-15b-lg.html for vsr
That is a really good panel and you would be really happy with it I reckon regardless of 1440p with VSR

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
These are vesa ratings - usually I don't bother with HDR as they are crap unless it's HDR10 or 1000. There are certain parameters that you have to achieve like 400 nits or 1000 nits for HDR10 or so

Associate
No it's not vesa HDR: so don't take HDR into account. It's a bonus but won't count on it.

HDR 10 YES
VESA DisplayHDRTM NO
HDR Effect YES

Associate
The way I understand it, HDR 10 is the base and it pretty crap on Monitors.

HDR10 is the same as HDR 400, or the entry level as far as I know. It's nothing great.

Associate
Yeah physically doesn't do (high brightness or local diming zones etc)anything just tries to emulate the effect and isn't that great imo

Associate
Do you want 280 Hz refresh rate - personally 144 is more than enough so I would go for the LG and save the money to spend elsewhere . Did you check for 24 inch versions of the LG - 27 inch at 1080p is leaning towards low pixel density but should be fine otherwise.

Associate
personally that too far for me, i'm too impatient. Are you comfortable with B grade/ used items. OCUK here does some good deals and come with 3 month warranty:

Back
Top Bottom