Buying first gaming monitor

Associate
Also what is your usage like - you will use this for mainly gaming? any photo or video editing? Did you already get the 5700 already ? (sorry for so many questions!)

Permabanned
Do you want 280 Hz refresh rate - personally 144 is more than enough so I would go for the LG and save the money to spend elsewhere . Did you check for 24 inch versions of the LG - 27 inch at 1080p is leaning towards low pixel density but should be fine otherwise.

144hz on the 280hz will be superior, He can do 270hz mode, 280hz mode it all works better than 144hz. At the price it is a steal it is just as good as the MAG251RX and others. It is a pity he was not on Nvidia as it is superior there.

You could cap your fps to 144hz-280hz, Use DSR instead of VSR and like i do play Overwatch etc on lower settings but keeping the 4k 280hz so pixel density isnt an issue really if he upgrades in future. The colors are also really good it is a proper IPS panel. But yes will be use the extra £68.99? Well really it is not a lot of money the Asus also has the 3yr warranty too. I do not think you will want to upgrade from it for a while either i plan on using mine for quite a bit.

Permabanned

The Blurbusters forum speaks highly about first gen 240hz IPS and i think you will be very pleased. The screen can run 240hz 270hz and 280hz but you should not use the ELMB SYNC feature. Simply use regular VRR from the monitors OSD and disable ELMB SYNC. You will need to go here to enable the overclocks to 270hz or 280hz as well.

And everyone uses Racing Mode, I use contrast 70, and a brightness level of 16 over the contrast of 80 others used but you can try 70-80 and see what you like. And as for the calibration settings you should use custom RGB again in the monitors OSD and set the Red to 96, Green to 97, Blue to 96. This is a good base to work with it should be very close to 120 cmd/2 and D6500k. On mine sometimes i use 95 Red as i see a slight red tint at 96.

I cannot really offer much more advice that this really i think i covered everything, I love mine i could have got the MAG251RX but those are all £400 ish versus £268. And do a swap to Nvidia Ampere too. Unless the games have MSAA Antiiasing 8x i do find it a little pixelated. This is why i prefer to use DSR i normally run most of my games at 4k on this and locking it to 4k 144fps means i got a display i think would have no shame doing a bit of fisty cuffs with those £2500 quid 4k 144hz Acers. But none of those displays will match the low blur of the 280hz it is simply not possible to match the ultra high refresh rate you will see this when you get one it is very impressive technology.

Associate
OP
Eventually I will probably get a better gpu but I love the one I have already got, but also what is the difference between vsr and dsr.

I do not think I will overclock the monitor but thak you so much for helping me find a monitor

Permabanned
Eventually I will probably get a better gpu but I love the one I have already got, but also what is the difference between vsr and dsr.

I do not think I will overclock the monitor but thak you so much for helping me find a monitor

You are welcome i hope you enjoy it as much as i did mine. And yes you will benefit hugely from a new GPU i use a blower 2080ti and in Overwatch, L4D i get 170fps and 260fps but your cpu is better than mine which causes me to dip to 144fps and these large spikes feel like a stutter. Freesync and Gsync are great but instantly losing 100fps will feel like a microstutter. So a good GPU and steady frames work best when gaming with VRR.

And the difference in VSR and DSR? Well the AMD spec sheet states 1080p has a refesh rate limit. This may of changee but nor AMD or any AMD user has demonstrated the ability to downsample 1080p to 4k with no refreshrate caps. The difference here verssus Nvidia DSR is with Nvidia there are no caps it simply downscales 4k on 1:1 pixel ratio to 1080p and keeps the refreshrate so be it 240,270 280hz thats the refreshrate you will have at 4k.

Nvidia also offer the abilty to set the scalers smoothness to 0%, Unless AMD also allow this it means the Nvidia implementation is superior as you should never ever be using smoothing unless you downsample odd resolutions. 1080p and 4k are 1:1 pixel matches so you would be using 0% smoothing on Nvidia and basically get each pixel sampled four times because thats how the maths works. 1080p x4 is 3840x2160p so 1080p and 4k work brilliantly togeather.

Associate
OP
I will wait a year or two to replace my dual fan rx 5700 as it is only a year old and I want to wait till I can get something like an ampere or rdna 2 gpu.

Permabanned
I will wait a year or two to replace my dual fan rx 5700 as it is only a year old and I want to wait till I can get something like an ampere or rdna 2 gpu.

If you get hooked on VSR or DSR there is no alternative but Nvidia until they release high refresh rate 4k screens the pixelation annoys me too much. If you find it a problem, And the games you play have a UI that is friendly to downsampling then AMD cant compete. This is why i pay the Nvidia tax i want the options of 1080p and 4k and the ability to cap my fps from 144 -280 this covers nearly all games unless they have a specific 60hz lock they all work great.

Associate
Don't buy on price. Buy from somewhere that has an excellent returns policy and customer service, search the internet for reports. This might be reflected in a slightly higher price. The dead pixel policy must be read in the terms and conditions.

I purchased a monitor 10 months ago. When arrived it the monitor screen had finger prints on it and about 5 dead pixels in the corner. The terms and conditions which I didn't read allow for 6. 10 months later it looks like it's faulty and after checking reports, they only refund 60% of the purchase price claiming usage of the product.

Permabanned
Okay thank you

Ocuk will look after you they always did for me i got a pixel perfect display with two issues one is 270hz is my max OC as one game flickers and the second is sometimes my RGB does not save but elsewhere it coats much more.

I forgot to say also, When you get the screen dont run overdrive above 60. So Racing mode and overdive 60.

Permabanned
Thank you but I don't understand the last paragraph

You will see this setting in the OSD play with it, It makes the pixels respond faster through overdriving them so a higher setting means less blur. But you should notice anything above 60 causes awful ghosting and trails. 60 is perfect but some argue for 40 but i use 60 and it is perfect.

This is the reason ELMB SYNC implementation.was ruined on this monitor as when put to ON it locks Overdrive to 80 and hud icons become very smeary. So everyone uses regular 240hz with VRR and Overdrive 40-60.

Racing Mode
RGB 96 97 96
Brightness 16
Contrast 70
Overdrive 60
VRR ON
Blue light filter 0
ELMB SYNC off

Permabanned
Okay thank you by vrr I assume you mean freesync/g-sync if nvidia

Yep but i can offer no help in that as i only had Gsync compatibility on mine as i am Nvidia obviously. Let us know how you get on? My preorder only took about 14 days if i remember correctly they never seem to show as instock but they seem to ship them at that price it is worth the wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom